Driving in Provence


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Avignon
April 30th 2009
Published: April 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Luberon country sideLuberon country sideLuberon country side

Outside of Eygallieres
This morning we woke up to rain, but by the time we finished breakfast, it was sunny. So we decided to take a drive into the countryside of Provence. Our first stop was south of Avignon to St Remy, where Vincent Van Gogh spent many years painting. Alas, it was market day, and impossible to park anywhere. So we changed directions and headed east to the Luberon. This is a mountainous area of vineyards, olive groves, and old stone farm houses with an occasional charming village every few miles. The landscape reminded me somewhat of the Napa Valley. We made stops in Gordes, Bonnieux, Eygallieres, and Loumarin. The villages are quaint and just stunning to look at. On the way back to Avignon, we stopped to hike the Gorges de Regalon. The hiking trail was lined with olive trees, rosemary, and we walked on wild thyme in bloom, which made the walk smell delicious. Dinner tonight is wine, cheese and tomatoes in our room! Bon nuit!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Farm house in EygallieresFarm house in Eygallieres
Farm house in Eygallieres

Note the satelite dish on the roof.
House in BonnieuxHouse in Bonnieux
House in Bonnieux

Note the statues holding up the porch
LoumarinLoumarin
Loumarin

Front garden of one of the village houses. So many beautiful gardens here!


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb