Reattu in Arles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Arles
October 21st 2017
Published: October 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The morning was spent wandering & tasting at the Saturday markets. On an ernormous scale they ran for 1 & 1/2 kilometres and most were two seperate rows with stalls each side. You name it was on offer and done tastfully in french fashion. Pictures tell.

The Reattu museum:

We saw part of Reattu's work at an exhibition yesterday and then today his collection at his museum. We didn't know anything about this artist. Very remarkable drawings done primarily for his paintings. Preferred his drawings to his paintings. Though he did manage to capture his main subject in a good light to give focus on it.
I noticed he drew his male & female different in that the male was muscular & the female without. Not many artists of this era differentiated this except in the faces. It is said they likely didn't see much of the female unclothed as they were always in long dresesses with long sleeves. (Allowed to show the clevage though!) His subjects were all the same height. Arms, legs, feet & torsos all the same length. The bodies were perfection. He managed to capture varied poses & movements. His achievement to portray the body form through fabric was exceptional.
The museum itself was Reattu's residence & many years after his death was sold along with his collection to Arles by his daughter in exchange for a pension & the right to live there. The museum sits quietly on the bank of the Rhone & prior to being Reattu's home it was the Grand Priory of the Knights of Malta. It was divided up into 27 parts to be sold to citizens of Arles, however Reattu bought the whole lot.

Feeling inspired!

.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb