Day 6 Lusignan to Confolens 54miles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Poitou-Charentes
May 15th 2014
Published: May 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Via D742 to Gencay ,D102 from Brion to the L'Isle -Jourdain a small village on the banks of the Vienne. D8 to Confolens .(for my sister following the route on map )



Stayed in modern hotel last night ,the one we were supposed to stay was closed for painting .There was no other accomodation in the town which was disconcerting as we don't have a tent. There were no Chateaux for several miles !

Woke to wall to wall sunshine but strong gusty winds which made for difficult cycling.

We were told the route was to be reasonably fast & flat,they lied ! Up hill & down dale all along the banks of the river. The landscape again had huge fields with no hedges to break the wind but it didn't stop Mark ! The land appears very fertile & lush, maize fields in abundance.

Wildlife minimal today save a few hare (or should it be hares,Tom ?)

One notices the smells whilst cycling ,in the villages,hair dye, garlic, roses in the gardens, freshly baked bread. In the countryside freshly mown grass, manure, rape seed flowers , horse smells.

Found a lovely English owned Chambre d'Hotes on the banks of the river Vienne ,sitting in the sun writing this listening to the water,magical .

The town clock has just chimed 6,o'clock time for a glass ( or two or three) .


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



15th May 2014

Salut
All Frenchman lie when it comes to routes and directions. Like your sister we are following your route on the map - things are getting better as you're about to embark on the next page in our atlas!
16th May 2014
Medieval house in Cofolens

The blue flowers you mentioned yesterday.
We think they may be phacelia, it is a green manure crop grown extensively in France. We have sown some in our potager this year. Mel would like to know if the hair dye you can smell is the characteristic dark chesnut variely that seems to encourage alopecia ?
16th May 2014

Tom reckons!
Hare!!! Also we reckon there is a way to "Blag the Blog"and actually you are having a relaxing time Brittany ! Keep at it , Clive Jane and Tom x

Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0622s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb