Aubuterre


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Poitou-Charentes
October 3rd 2012
Published: November 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

At the recommendation of our hosts, we are off to visit our first village - Aubuterre. Aubuterre is about 15 minutes from Chalais and is listed as "One of the Beautiful Villages in France". This sounds like the perfect recommendation for a visit and one you will see us use in the future.

This village was built in the 11th and 12th century with a typical "Centre de Ville" and shops around. For us, it is an opportunity to practice our driving skills in narrow, twisty streets. Sure am glad we decided on a smaller car. Better to have a bit less leg room but turn the car in with all it's fenders and mirrors.

In the early days of the village, the monks carved an amazing underground church out of the cliff. Once finished, it sports a central height over the altar of 270 Feet. That's a lot of carving even in limestone. There is an ancient burial site within the church in the entry. A simple reminder of the direction of all lives I guess.

Outside the streets climb to a central square lined with small shops. Perfect place for an afternoon beverage and Jerry took advantage of the opportunity. The day we were there, there was a school teacher organizing her brood for a walking tour of the small village. As you walk through the streets, it is clear that French people appreciate a lovely window box. On Sundays, there is a small market on the square so we will plan a return visit soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



7th November 2012

Thanks for update
Congrats on the blog, it is wonderful. I love the stories, humor, and learnings, thanks for the blatant tourist honesty. Jerry, how is the beer? Happy trails,
12th November 2012

I think I am getting the hang of this.
Thanks for your help MJ. I don't think the web site is really very easy to navigate if you don't know where to start. Are you getting all of the blog entries from us? I think there are 4 so far. sandy

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb