Cliffhangers


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Midi-Pyrénées » Rocamadour
August 9th 2012
Published: August 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

On Monday, we left Sarlat for Roc-Amadour, On the way, we stopped at Domme. It is a small fortified medieval village on top of a cliff. This affords amazing panoramic views of the surrounding countryside.

We then went on to Roc-Amadour. Roc-Amadour is the third most visited pilgrimage sites in France because of its 12th century Black Madonna. The village is located in a huge ravine, and it literally climbs up the cliff face. The village is one three levels; the first is the town, the second (above the town) is the Sanctuary and the third (above the Sanctuary) is the Chateau. We were able to climb the ramparts of the Chateau, but we could not enter because it is privately owned. There are a total of seven chapels surrounding the Basilica of Saint Saviour, the main one dedicated to the Black Madonna. An interesting feature of the Basilica is that it has two naves; therefore, there is a huge pillar in front of the altar. There seemed to be more tourists than pilgrims.

Wednesday morning, we left to go to Carassonne. On the way, we visited the small village of Saint-Cirq-Lapopie. It had a chateau at the top, which was in ruins. It is similar to Domme, in that it was on top of a cliff, which is reported to be one of the highest villages in France.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.288s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb