The Pyrenees


Advertisement
Published: May 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

River AdurRiver AdurRiver Adur

Get your canoe out!
Thursday 8 May - Pyrenees
Dogs got me up at 715 barking and howling. Came down to a lovely welcome and let them out. It was lovely to see them so happy and running round the garden Ian took them for a long walk and they came back full of beans, with coats wet from the morning dew. Whilst we had breakfast they lay in the sun to dry off - their coats were like silk when they did.

When we were ready to go out Gipsy decided she was not coming in - we tried to tempt her with a biscuit but she just ate it and then sat down on strike! Ian had to lift her up and carry her in so we could get out!

We then followed the Route Pic du Midi up into the pyrenees it was the most wonderful place. We were following a circular route which began and ended at Bagneres-de-Bigorre, situated on the River Adour, There was a bric-a-brac market next to the river and it was just so french! All the stall holders were there with their families picnicking in the sun. The sunlight was glistening on the gushing waters of the river carrying the melting snow down from the mountain. It was fully rigged up for canoes, It would be a fast technical ride methinks!

On the way we passed through some of the the most striking places - I think the pictures tell you more than words, I know we have put a lot up on this blog but think they are worth looking at. When we reach Col du Tourmalet (2115 m) we had to turn back as the melting snow was slipping down and had blocked the road.

We stopped at a viewpoint where the views provided a breathtaking, dramatic panorama - something I will never forget. There were some paths and we followed one and sat together in quiet awe observing the compelling moment by moment changes of the scene in front of us. It was as if you were looking at a HD picture but you are in it!

On the way back there were cows wandering in the road with their bells ringing - hilarious. A bit further along a young girl of about 12 was leading some horses through a village none of them were tied and just followed along behind her.

A memorable day in the Pyrenees breathing the lovely mountain air, with some truly precious memories.

Memoirs
Siting at the end of the path with Ian looking at some of the most stunning scenery I have ever seen.
Spooky to think that what we saw will never be there again as it changes moment to moment.
The sheer wonder of the Pyrenees
Fresh Air
Waterfalls
Cows in road
Little girl leading the horses down the road


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

WaterfallsWaterfalls
Waterfalls

Gushing the melting snow down from the top
Col de Tourmalet ski resort Col de Tourmalet ski resort
Col de Tourmalet ski resort

This is where we had to turn back.(2115 m) - very high
Monsieur et Madame being their walkMonsieur et Madame being their walk
Monsieur et Madame being their walk

This is where we walked from to find our cinematic scene of the pyrenees


13th May 2014

C'est Bon! xx
13th May 2014

C'est TRES bon caheeeeeeeee xxxxxxx

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb