Pyrenees


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Midi-Pyrénées » Auch
March 27th 2011
Published: April 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Foothills of the Pyrenees


Friday March 11th 2011

After phoning ahead to the campsite, we set off on a beautiful drive alongside the Pyrenees. They really looked majestic and we enjoyed having them in our sights for most of the journey. Around lunchtime we were passing close to Lourdes, so we decided to stop there for a picnic. Although we didn’t visit the holy sites, the evidence of mass pilgrimages there were evident, with a constant stream of visitors coming in by road and plane. When we arrived at our campsite destination – St. Bertram de Comminges – the campsite was closed ! Luckily the owner’s son was doing some maintenance work just outside and he opened up the facilities for us to stay the night. Our accommodation secured, we walked up the steep hillside to the centre of the village. There was a well-preserved medieval church and the shops were quaint. We stopped for a crepe in the village square and were pleased to have made the effort. On the walk back to the site we spotted two archaeological sites with the foundations of Roman buildings – an added bonus!

Saturday March 12th – Sunday March 13th 2011

On the road again now north to Seissan. Stayed at a particularly pretty site, set around a small lake. A small beach area had been constructed alongside the lake, complete with play park and small boats. Time for the boys to relax, for Max to get up to date with chores and for me to clean the van – for the second time this trip ! ( please note Stuart ! )




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 23; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0897s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb