South into Belgium and into France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lower Normandy » Cherbourg
September 11th 2007
Published: September 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post


Ypres or Ieper



We had an interesting time looking at the First World War artifacts and information which abounds in Ieper. There is a great and good museum there in the impressive Cloth Hall rebuilt after the desolation in the war.

And we then headed down to Vimy Ridge which we knew of from the Somme visit earlier in the summer. It is very impressive. The Canadians have left the battlefield as it was left after the war and opened up the tunnels built into the chalk. It was a great victory for the allies and the Canadians led the charge.

Normandy and Home



But we had to move on to take our place in the St Lo 40th anniversary cycle rally. We had a great time and enjoyed superb French hospitality. We camped on the car park of the exhibition hall which housed the event and the meals. The rides were really different and not too hard.

We then left for a night at St Vaast la Houge ready for a day in Cherboug before catching the ferry on Tuesday morning.

Alarm! We checked the tickets on Monday evening and found we were leaving from Caen! So a quick dash over Normandy meant we could catch some moules and frites before catching the ferry home. The weather during this time was sunny and bright. Temperatures at about 20C. And there was not a cloud in sight for the whole ferry journey home. Just as we expect England to be.

And that is it. Hope these reminders have not been too boring. Sorry there are no picture but I took them too low in resolution and the site won't accept them. If you want to see them let me know because they will be on another site soon.

Michael and Lesley

Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb