Verdun


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lorraine » Verdun
October 23rd 2009
Published: October 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

After having arrived in Verdun, France...we immediately had a four course lunch at Le Picotin. Wonderful food: Bienvenue a la France.

Next, we toured the Battlefields of Verdun; the American equivalent being Gettysburg. The Battle of Verdun was the longest battle in recorded history lasting 11 months! Due to the military strategy of the day, the French and the German operated with trench warfare in WWI and thus the goal was instead of to advance and conquer, was to maintain and bleed the other army dry. Whoever decided enough had died would surrender. The Germans thought that the French would surrender the outdated and understocked fort of Verdun somewhat easily...but for the French, Verdun had become a national image of unity, of France, and to be defended at all cost. France won the battle...after 400,000 Frenchmen had paid with their lives.

The commanding French general at the time knew that he needed to make Verdun France's priority so he rotated troops from all over France to fight in the battle. Nearly every Frenchman today is related to someone who fought in that battle. What compounded the French's problem was the lack of access to the area. There was one railroad several miles away and one measly road that led to it...when soldiers were needed from Paris to Verdun right away...the entire Paris fleet of taxis pitched in and took them there, making Verdun an extremely important memory site in France.

After the battle tours, we checked into our awesome medieval hotel and leisurely walked the city. At dinner, the waitress was beyond irate at serving 18 American students...I was liked because I actually spoke French.

The next day, we walked around the city and visited the beautiful cathedral! All in all, a pretty provincial town with a glorious past.


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

MemorialMemorial
Memorial

A bunch of soldiers were buried alive in this room.


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb