Longwy 2


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lorraine » Thionville
October 5th 2008
Published: October 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Saturday continued

We relaxed for a while then headed off for Dinner, took a walk into the Town Centre, found a few Bars, but nothing Restaurant looking. We had noticed a place next to the Hotel so decided to eat there.

We had the buffet starter, then a Chicken in Tandoori sauce and the local Pork Haggisy type thing, good value, average food.

Not sure if I have explained the Hotels we stay in. Premiere Classe are a chain of 217 Hotels that range throughout France, they cost about 40 Euro's per night, and they are more or less the same at each location. They are clean, have free internet connections, and you can book online very easily, and they have automatic check-ins. You do get what you pay for, in that they are basic, but they are adequate for our needs. They are usually situated on the outskirts of towns, in Industrial Estates.

We have been thinking out our next few days and our general travel plans. Following our visit to Luxembourg, we are going to try and pop across the border into Germany, Pat tells me she has never set foot in the Country, so we will try to tick that box, even if we only drive in for a hundred metres then back out again. Then we are going to head almost due West to get back over towards Paris, to visit Fontainebleau, which is one of our planned visits, as Pat has lived there.

After that we will try to head a bit more directly South and may do a jump at a quicker pace. We love the way we are wandering around, but it isn't warm enough and therefore we will probably travel a bit faster South, then slow down again.

Sunday, 5th October, 2008

Plan for the day, visit Luxembourg, then back to Longwy, for the night.

Set off around our usual time after a good night's sleep.

After you leave Longwy, which is France you actually go through Belgium to get to Luxembourg.

It was raining fairly heavily and none too warm, about 8° C. Luxembourg (City) was about 30 kilometers from Longwy and we poutled through the countryside to get there. We found the Centre and stopped, but decided that we wouldn't hang around, because of the weather.

We drove off heading for Echternach as Pat had heard it was a nice place. Driving along we happened to stop at some traffic lights and spotted a supermarket and shops that were open at a place called Junglinster. A lot of places on the continent don't open on Sundays. So we pulled off and found a very nice cafe. We bought some Ham & Cheese, with bread and croissants for our lunch, and drove off again.

We headed off towards Germany and signposted was Bitburg, so we came out of Luxembourg and into Germany, we pottered around and came across a Picnic parking place to eat our Lunch, very nice.

Pat can now add Germany to her list of countries visited.

After that, we headed back to Luxembourg (City) and out of Luxembourg. Eventually getting back to Longwy mid afternoon,

Luxembourg does give an impression of money, we saw a lot of very fancy cars, which is a fair indicator of wealth.

So, today I have driven in four countries, I would mention that there was not a border post in sight and normally I don't know what town I'm in, today, I didn't even know what country.







Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0225s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb