Hiking Molitg


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Languedoc-Roussillon
June 29th 2015
Published: July 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Isabel, hike to Fortress les ParacollsIsabel, hike to Fortress les ParacollsIsabel, hike to Fortress les Paracolls

Chateau de Riell and Grand Hotel in the distance
You can't lie around a pool for days on end, you know. At some point, you need to move, although Isabel might dispute my view as she is loving her time on the pool lounges. For a few days we had been gazing up from the pool at some gorgeous ruins, and were sure there must be walking tracks, although there were no maps available at the hotel. We decided to get up early before it was too hot and try to find our way there. Fortunately, our friendly reception guy was able to tell us that it was not too difficult to find the track from the lake below the hotel, so we started down the large spiral stairs near the pool but got distracted by yet another gorgeous part of the hotel we hadn't yet explored. There are so many little areas at this place where you can find your own slice of tranquillity. It was deserted, even though French school holidays have started and the hotel is quite busy. It has been so hot that we just haven't felt the desire to use the indoor pool, but it is absolutely beautiful.

After a brief look, we continued down the stairs to the lake, and followed instructions to cross the bridge and walk past the chapel. Sure enough, a little trail began to make its way past the cascades and up the side of the mountain. It was already hot and sunny and I must say I was feeling it. We are in a wild part of France and there was not much shade in the scrubby bush we were walking through. By the time we got a fair way up, however, we were rewarded with a great view down over the valley and the village, so we stopped to have a drink and enjoy it. There were no signs at a fork in the track so we took a wrong guess and walked to the left, but didn't mind because we then got a view over Campôme and Mosset. We could also see the fort a stone's throw away, so walked down and up a little more to eventually scramble up some rocks to go inside. It was a little spooky actually, but I loved being there by ourselves and just exploring. I had been toying with the idea of walking the rest of the way to Campôme, but it was just too hot to contemplate, so we wandered back down the hill to our car and drove instead to Mosset for a late lunch on a terrace with a view. I had a heart stopping moment when confronted with a van coming the opposite way, but managed to reverse a little and squeeze into a spot where the road widened marginally and he could pass. A big group of English middle aged men on bikes were also enjoying the view at the little café, but the sole proprietor managed to feed us all by bringing everything out at the same time and we enjoyed a simple lunch which finished with cherry clafoutis made with fruit from the trees we could see below.

I am not a napper, but I did need to find a little spot on a balcony in the shade when we got back to the hotel, and later that night we ate our last dinner in Molitg - tomorrow we head to Toulouse.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Beautiful spot under the swimming poolBeautiful spot under the swimming pool
Beautiful spot under the swimming pool

The marble arches lead to the spa
Tiny chapel below the hotelTiny chapel below the hotel
Tiny chapel below the hotel

We walked past it on our way up the hill
The lakeThe lake
The lake

This is where the walk begins
Our destinationOur destination
Our destination

The ruined Fortress les Paracolls
Tiny balcony overlooking the chapelTiny balcony overlooking the chapel
Tiny balcony overlooking the chapel

There were countless private little spots where we could sit, read, work or chase some shade
View from MossetView from Mosset
View from Mosset

The restaurant terrace was in a great spot
Menu du Jour MossetMenu du Jour Mosset
Menu du Jour Mosset

3 courses, 17 euros.


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb