Lucy finds some Donkeys


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Languedoc-Roussillon
May 18th 2008
Published: May 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It’s market day so we got some fresh fruit (should have seen the strange look I got when I was trying to ask for cherries in what I was trying to pass off as French) and bread for lunch then took a hike up the mountain.
Collioure is where the Pyrenees Mountains meets the sea, so over the years many countries have fought for its control, there are castles and fort dotted all over the place. We decided to walk up to a fort we could see from town. Up and up this long steep path marveling at the countryside. Part way up was a windmill with an olive grove behind it. Again, wonderful music confronted us as we approached and there under the olive trees was a huge group enjoying a lavish feast of food in the shade. It’s just like to movies.
Then to Lucy’s delight we came across some donkeys beside the path, which just loved the wild fennel we picked for them. The only bummer was that the fort is actually still being used by the military (?) so after such a huge climb we couldn’t even look around.
Back into town and the bands are back again, one by the town bridge the other by the beach. So we sat by a beachside bar with a cheap wine, while the kids pretended to have a swim in the icy water, with music playing in the background.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Lucy's in heavenLucy's in heaven
Lucy's in heaven

donkeys on the path to the fort
a picnic under the treesa picnic under the trees
a picnic under the trees

music, food, wine perfect
The fortThe fort
The fort

we walked up this hill to the fort on top


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb