The French Riviera


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Languedoc-Roussillon
September 7th 2007
Published: September 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

After the Dordogne region we headed towards the French riviera, via Millau.

Up until now Europe has been pretty much the same everywhere we have gone, flat or rolling, green and not too different to New Zealand. Once we hit Millau things changed. Finally some hills! We went to Millau for the bridge but found one of the best campsites we have had, complete with squirrel collecting nuts, some amazing limestone cliffs, hundreds of Vultures in the hills. Altogether a pretty nice place.

Heading on we went through somepretty windy country roads, on which the locals were more than happy to pass you on blind corners and large trucks were more than happy to take up your lane on tight corners. We got through this, slowly with only one swerve onto the cerb, luckly there was a cerb to swerve onto!

Our next sight to see was a bridge of a little older design, the Pont du Gard. We stayed in a small village the night before we went there and since then things have been looking very mediterraen, which is nice but getting pegs in for our tent is impossible and we have few remaining straight ones. The Pont du Gard was nice and we followed it up by going to a Roman Ampitheatre in Nimes, which is still used for bull fights.

The road from there led us towards Nice, on to Monaco , past some beautiful beaches and stunning, arid senery and then up into the hills of the Alps.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

At last some real hillsAt last some real hills
At last some real hills

The hills between Millau and Nice
Vultures circling aboveVultures circling above
Vultures circling above

Vultures were re-introduced into the hills near Millau a few decades ago and now hundreds circle above
Sunset and a local Pizza in CassisSunset and a local Pizza in Cassis
Sunset and a local Pizza in Cassis

This is still one of the best pizzas we have had and we have since tried many to try and match it.


Tot: 0.22s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 14; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0759s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb