Christmas Markets - Strasbourg & Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
December 5th 2016
Published: February 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Last year we set off to the BEST Christmas market in Spain! via train to Madrid. Well it was the worst Christmas market I had ever been to so this year I was making sure that we saw a proper Christmas market. The place to do that is in Strasbourg France, they have the biggest and best Christkindelsmark in all of Europe, and since we were flying in and out of Paris may as well do it too.

So first off to Strasbourg via high speed train from Paris Sud station, should be there in 2 hours plenty of time to check in and see the evening market. The market is mainly held around or near the Cathedral from 1570 making not only the biggest but the oldest in Europe.

We wondered the streets with a bit of a brisk wind in the air, coming from Southern Spain we found it a bit chilly, and were soon on the hunt for hot Christmas wine. There is plenty to see with hot drinks, hot biscits , hot sausages cooking wonderful smells all around. Loved it. Lots to shop for in the Christmas season old fashioned stalls of baked goods, candies, jewlery, and lots of traditional Christmas hand made decorations and toys. Oh and I love how the whole city of Strasbourg gets into the Christmas spirit and go all out decorating their streets, shops and houses.

If you have never been to Strasbourg it is a beautiful little city with old half timer houses and old style shops that come to life with the lights of Christmas.



After 2 days in Strasbourg we head back to Paris, but our train was delayed and so we could only possibly fit in one market, I really wanted to do both, but the big one along the Champs Elysees is the easiest one to get to by subway train. So headed off there as soon as we checked in.

Now for someone to just come from Strasbourg from the lovely traditional market to Paris, there is quite a difference. You are submerged in full on outdoor Christmas modern mall shopping extravaganza!! Lights, loud music, carnival atmosphere, rides, out door skating rinks, oh even a thriller funhouse. Everything from artwork, nuts to jewlery available. Sip on Chaud Vin and hot crapes while you stroll along the light up street.

Both markets should be on your list of places to see.

Enjoy the photos!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb