Paris by foot, metro, bus and more


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
July 11th 2012
Published: July 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We have now had a few days in Paris and are seeing many new sights - areas of Paris that we have not visited before. yesterday we visited the Basilique Saint Denis in the northern suburbs of Paris. This is the cathedral where all the kings and queens of France are buried and it is a truly beutiful building. this is also much less crowded that other places in Paris and so it much easier to take your time, look and contemplate the things on exhibition.

Today we visited Les Invalides the site of Napoleon's tomb and also a number of military history exhibitions. Napoleon's tomb is quite extrordinary and overpowering in its extreme vanity. Even after his death his ego seemed to live on.

Tomorrow is Versailles on a bus tour and will be more history and extravagance - perhaps less walking.

The first day was a visit to the Louvre and while we saw many extraordinary works of art in an amazingly ornate building, some of the behaviour of some tourists is really quite embarassing. We did not, however, let that take away from our time there - three hours and by that time we were pretty much in overload.



Everyday is full and with plenty of exercise, good food we are all sleeping well. I think we have all adjusted to the new time zone and are not waking too early.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb