Ferme la porte!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
December 30th 2011
Published: December 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I promise that I will only write the first few of these, I am well aware that Nicole is the master at blogging.

Our journey began with the arduous plane ride from Vancouver to Franfrut. Jody and Curtis were seating within slapping distance of at least 4 babies.... The courus of crying starting immediately and did not end for the duration of the flight.

Kevin had been sick the day before we left but started to feel better for the flight. As he started to feel better I started to feel worse. By the time we got to FranKfurt I was in pretty rough shape but had to deal with a missing boarding pass for Curtis as it failed to print in Vancouver. This is a long story and turned out to be a huge hassle and caused us to almost miss our connecting flight to Paris.

The flight was a short 1 hour but it couldn't end soon enough for me. As we taxied into Paris I thought I just need to hang on a few more minutes. That didn't happen, I made a mad dash for the washroom and basically running over the flight attendant on the way. I have to say I started to improve after my emergency bathroom break! (BTW if you every need to use the bags they give on the plane - get two they are small)

After what drama we made our way to the appartnent we rented in the Maris district, wow! (not the appartnent) Paris is very beautiful and rich with history.

We had a much needed rest and then we went out to explore, first stop Notre-Dame. We enjoyed some espresso and snacks as well as the Paris streets at night before heading back to sleep. Our goal was to stay up until 9 (noon at home) making this 30 hour day.

We were all up by 5am this morning - Paris is NOT a morning city. We were wandering around looking for an open cafe by 7:30 and eventually found one. We made our way to the Louvre and then to the Effiel Tower. We logged over 13k by early afternoon and decided that tonight and tomorrow we would try out the transit system which is supposed to be excellent.

Most people here speak English and been both friendly and helpful. There are signs every tho warning of pickpockets who I'm sure will be out aplenty on new years eve.

We may just try to find a place to hunker down and watch the festivities rather than be part of it as I can see it may be a crazy scene and we have to be at the airport by 5am on the first. Oh boy!

The apartment we rented is small but adequate, however it is located on the 4 th floor and has 100 spiral stairs and no lift. Oi. I guess it's good moutain training.

Looking forward to trying out some wine a quaint restraunt tonight, our lack of dress cloths has not been an issue here as its been pretty cold and we are wearing our down and cold weather gear.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

UploadedFile6UploadedFile6
UploadedFile6

Gas station Paris style


Tot: 0.358s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0754s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb