Oui, Oui Paree!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
July 19th 2023
Published: July 20th 2023
Edit Blog Post

On a pretty last minute spontaneous decision I'm traveling to Paris and Nice with Terry, Roberta, Cheryl, and Naomi. Terry was feeling the need to take a trip this summer and as long as we found a good deal, I was in. After some time looking at Nova Scotia, we heard about the wild fires and couldn't find a good deal, somehow traveling to Paris became an option. Thanks to Travel zoo, which we'll never use again, and Terry's persistent negotiating skills we got the deal we were looking for. 8 days, really 6, air fare hotels and train all for $2000. Terry and I were never in France and the others had but liked the idea of taking the trip together. France was never high on my travel list but seeing the Eiffel Tower and the Mona Lisa sounded pretty cool to me.
We had a direct flight from Newark to Paris, which after an almost 4 hour delay, was smooth. We left Newark at 1:30 in the morning of July 18th and by 2:00 in the afternoon we were in a van on our way to Montmartre to find the Hotel Jarden de Montmartre, our home for 3 nights.
With a cranky French guy at the desk and lots of room changes (steps, questionable elevator and smells) , it was a less than a wow start, but actually it was a good 3*** place to stay. Not sure Terry agrees with that. Montmartre is a very pretty area and convenient location. After finding and figuring out the ATM and the Metro, we spent the late afternoon exploring Montmartre, doing lots of walking. We saw the Sacre Coeur church. taking the venicular up to see the beautiful views of Paris as it is the highest point and had a great panoramic views. Walking down, we found Cafe Suzanne which was on Terry's list of restaurants to try. It was wonderful. We sat outside had a glass of rose, Andalusian gazpacho and crochette Suzanne, fancy grilled cheese. It was perfect way to spend our first evening in Paris, to sit with good friends, surrounded by locals with friendly staff and eating great food.
Despite everyone having many aching joints from all the walking and being tired from lack of sleep, we kept going to get to the Moulin Rouge, walking on cobblestone streets passing apartments with flowered balconies along the way. We took the obligatory picture and then got an Uber back to our hotel, exhausted but feeling quite accomplished!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0671s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb