Jo and Chris sail to Corsica 11th -18th Oct


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Corsica » Ajaccio
October 27th 2008
Published: October 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our arrival in Calvi - CorsicaOur arrival in Calvi - CorsicaOur arrival in Calvi - Corsica

The Citadel in Calvi
Saturday 11th October
Departure Villefranche/France to Calvi /Corsica: 6.25am
It’s an early start as we have a long way to go. It’s not that calm today but Chris and Jo were still asleep when we left the harbour.
We put the main sail up around 9am. It’s choppy and we need to calm the boat a bit. Poor Jo ends up feeling sick but she doesn’t know if it’s sea-sickness or something else but it knocks her out for the whole trip. Chris is sick a couple of times but he is still on his feet.

Arrival Calvi - Corsica: 19.55pm
It was dark when we arrived in Calvi. We checked out the harbour but didn’t take the chance on taking one of the berths in the harbour. It turned out OK staying out in the bay. It was quiet and very peaceful.
Jo and Chris were feeling alot better by the time we arrived. Jo thought that she might of arrived with some kind of bug so she just went to sleep for the night.

The next day was a lovely day. Jo thought it was lovely waking up and looking out of the porthole and seeing the sea which was lovely and calm and the Citadal.
We went ashore and we were lucky that there was a market through the main street of the town. We had a wonderful walk around and after lunch, Lars, Jo, and Chris took a walk to the top of the citadal while I had a rest.




In Corsica we visited the following Bays and Harbours:

Calvi
Golfe de Girolata
Anse de Minaccia
Scogliu Longu
Bonifaccio
Ajaccio Vieux port

Wednesday 15th October
Arrival Bonfaccio: 14.20pm
We needed a berth for a couple of days. After we had sorted that out with the Harbour Master we had a new manover to learn. We had to put out the anchor first from the front of the boat with the help from Chris while Lars and I sorted out the ropes for the back of the boat. We reversed into our berth, letting out the anchor while reversing. It went very smoothly. Chris let out the anchor until we said stop and we had the ropes all sort at the back. Very nicely done, we learn different thing every day.
We did some shopping and tried to sort out our e-mails. For some reason we had alot of trouble sending e-mails to everyone for about 3 weeks, but that’s sorted know.

Thursday 16th October
Today is the reason Jo and Chris are with us. It’s Jo’s 60th Birthday. So now everyone know’s (that should please you Jo). I woke Jo up with singing Happy Birthday and trying to get everyone up. I had scrambled eggs with salmon. Champagne, coffee, toast, presents and cards. It was a lovely start to a wonderful special day.
Lars had hired a car so we first went to Porto Vecchio which is suppose to be the new St Tropez. We all thought it looked like a rubbish tip instead of something nice for all the Ritzz people to visit. We then went up into the mountains and stopped at Corte. A lovely village, very interesting and very friendly people. We had a fantastic lunch and then start on our way back to Bonfaccio. With Lars driving we took alot of winding roads which Lars prefers. On one of these winding road we suddenly realised that the tree’s around us were Chestnut trees. All over the road were chestnuts so everyone got out and started picking up the lovely, huge chestnuts. They were everywhere and I can tell you they were very big. I’ve never seen fresh chestnuts but now we all have.
We finally made it back to the boat. By the time we arrived back it was dark so we only had time to brush our hair and out we go to dinner. I think Jo had a great day, something to remember anyway.
It wasn’t until the next day that we tried the chestnuts. We had no idea what to do with them. Chris and Lars put them on the grill outside and suddenly they heard small explosions. The chestnuts were blowing themselves up inside the grill. We had bits everywhere. We figured out that we had to put small holes in the shell before putting them on the grill. After that we had some wonderful, hot chestnuts. The locals, we heard, made flour out of the nut inside and made cakes and also jam or chestnut spread that is used all over the World.


Friday 17th October
On Saturday Jo and Chris were to leave us. They took the ferry back to Nice where there flight back to England was to leave on Monday.
Jo and Chris had sailed 238 nautical miles with us and we had driven about 345 km in the car. Not bad for 8 days.
We saw Chris and Jo off later in the evening 18th October. In the daytime we looked around the market that was in the center of Ajaccio. After lunch Jo said she would like to take the train that went around the town. I think we did just about everything both of them wanted to do on their holiday. Chris went swimming when he wanted to and Jo bubbled over with joy just to be in Corsica.



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

The rock formation in Scoglui Longu coveThe rock formation in Scoglui Longu cove
The rock formation in Scoglui Longu cove

It's amazing just like sculpturs made by nature


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb