Champagne...friends and bubbles...the dream team!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Champagne-Ardenne » Reims
July 18th 2009
Published: July 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After few weeks travelling in Asia, we are switching continents...and here we are for few miles all around Europe. We dropped Leslie and Tiffany at there grand-parents in Luxembourg, and took the drive to Champagne Region for a very exiting program. First and most important, it was the opportunity to see again Marie, Chritophe and Thibault my ski buddies for the last 2 years. Thanks to three of you, we had an amazing time...and we will see you again very soon.

Our first stop was in Cuis, a very cute little village South of Epernay. We had an appointment at Pierre Gimonnet, one of our prefered "little" house of Champagne. They only produce Blancs de Blancs, Champagne made only of Chardonnay grappes.

Sadly for us, they do not produce any rose, but it was for us the opportunity to properly learn the difference between an extra-brut, a brut, or a demi-sec. As well as the difference between a 1er Cru, a Grand Cru...or another Cru. I was specially interested to hear about the difference between a rose "a la saignee", and a rose done by assemblage. For your info, it is quite rare to drink a rose "a la saignee" these days, as only "small" houses are producing them. There is no addition of red grappes coming from Bouzy, but instead...the juice is let a little longerto rest in the stainless vats till it reachs the "perfect" rose color...

...and if you want to guess...the first bottle that Christophe and Marie opened for us, call Lamiable...was a rose"a la saignee"....thanks guys, I know how lucky we are!

We spent our evening drinking more bubbles and spending time with our friends around Chalons en Champagne.

Next day...a very heavy program was awaiting us. First stop, Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin. I first have to thank Cerentha who made this visit possible...we had an amazing two hours...and I learnt a LOT more on Champagne. Our host for the morning was Louise...a wealth of knowledge and passionate about her "house". For your info, they do welcome around 25,000 visitors a year...it may sound a lot, but this is indeed only around 100 per day. So yes I do feel very fortunate to have had the honor of having our private tour of Veuve Clicquot and their Crayeres.

So, few infos...24 kilometers of Crayeres, dating from the Gallo-roman period. Very few houses have Crayeres, actually...only Veuve Clicquot, Taittinger, Ruinart, Pommery and Maximes. A Veuve Clicquot yellow label is done out of four different vintages, aged on average for 3-4 years. They do release a millesime, as well as rose and millesime rose. But the best of the best is La Grande Dame, currently released is the 1998...and if you do ever break the bank, try the La Grande Dame Rose...and if you are very nice, I won't mind a La Grande Dame Rose Jeroboam of the last release for my birthday...just kidding! We finished the visit by a tasting...well...as Louise, Ma'ri and myself were having such a good time...and Ma'ri and myself were...I must admit...so curious...the tasting took, some time...with an amazing La Grande Dame 1998....thanks Louise and Cerentha!

Next stop...aperitif done...now it's time to drive next door to Chateau Les Crayeres. I ate here when it was under the Chef Boyer "fils" few years back. Today it is another experience as Didier Elena is the new Chef...holding properly on his 2 stars from Michelin. I can tell you one thing....we had an amazing lunch! You just need to look at the pictures to see our lunch menu...and look at our very happy smiles!

This was followed by a short stroll around Reims "centre de ville"....before going to visit the Crayeres of Pommery. Well...it was interesting, but not even close to the morning experience we had at Veuve Clicquot. I must admit that you cannot beat a private tour with a "tourist group" of 40 people...

After it, back to Chalons en Champagne through the little roads of Champagne, through Ay and Epernay.

I won't thanks enough Marie and Christophe. We had a really wonderful time. We've learnt a lot about one of our favorite drink!

With love, from Ma'ri and me... wait few days...we are driving few more miles....


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



19th July 2009

Traveling In Style
I 've got to give it to you, Peter, to travel in style. My, I'm envious. The food and the wine (plus the company , of course) and the ambience! I wonder if you had to make reservations way before you got there? Cheers!!!!
19th July 2009

Hi Liliram
For Chateau des Crayeres lunch we had a booking...but I guess at lunch you don't really need one. For Pommery, if you ask the restaurant to book you the tour, you receive a 50% discount. For Veuve Clicquot, this was really special and I guess cannot be booked at all.
19th July 2009

Still envious........
I'm turning green with envy. Cheers, Peter! Life is short and uncertain. You're on track......live it up!
19th July 2009

Dream team, oh yes !
Nous avons été ravis de passer un peu de temps avec vous deux, grandes discussions autour d'une bouteille de champagne, d'une pizza ou même d'un cocktail, deux jours vraiment sympa ! La prochaine fois, nous viendrons vous voir à Bangkok ! Bon voyage à tous ! Les Champenois.

Tot: 0.572s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 29; qc: 55; dbt: 0.2192s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb