Villandry's stunning gardens


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Centre » Villandry
April 26th 2011
Published: April 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Decorative gardenDecorative gardenDecorative garden

My favourite
Phillipe offered to be our tour guide today so we chose Villandry as he's a bit of a gardener. It was good to see him again and hear how the rest of his NZ trip went and to clear up a few of our French queries (like why so many houses and public buildings had French flags and flowers out yesterday - some war commemoration - fitting as we'd been thinking about Anzac day)

Anyway off to villandry with two grumpy girls not enjoying the second early morning start in a row. I'm pleased to say I was completely relaxed with his driving in his home country. Even despite a near accident at the first intersection as he forgot to revert to the French give way rules and drove through as though he was still in NZ. And continued to put the windscreen wipers on every time we turned a corner. He obviously ended up very comfortable driving in NZ.

Villandrys gardens did not disappoint, they were spectacular for the geometric and symmetrical designs, superbly maintained, and colourful displays. I loved all of it. The whole ticket entry and parking was very understated and I wonder how they'd manage in the busy season. It was similar to entering Tupare. We chose to only see the garden here as there are still more castles to see and we're pacing ourselves.

We had a beautiful seafood lunch in the happening university town of Tours. It's awesome having local recommendations and help translating the menu. Although I can't say we've had a bad meal or bad lucky dip yet but they seem to keep getting better and better. The drive home included stops at two wineries for tastings. All stunning wines of course but so cheap around $NZ6-7 per bottle. Even cheaper at $2 per litre for filling your own container, of which a constant stream of people were coming in to do. Sophia even got in on the act with her own tastings of around 5 different non alcoholic drinks they made.

Then to top off the great wine and food day Phillipe cooked the most amazing meal - five courses with matching wines. Even the girls agree he's a great cook with Olivia finding out she does like pork now and both girls experimenting more than ever before. Olivia tried asparagus (white and green) and Sophia got through
The decorative vege gardensThe decorative vege gardensThe decorative vege gardens

My other favourite
2 strawberries at desert (Awesome progress)


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Gardeners at lunchGardeners at lunch
Gardeners at lunch

Half trimmed box hedges - a big job with 52km of box


Tot: 0.291s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb