The trip back to Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Centre » Chartres
September 8th 2009
Published: September 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The trip home was a much more moderate affair with speed limits observed. Patrick took some time to show me a couple of sites on the return journey. We stopped off at Chateaudun to look at this impressive building and surrounding town. The photos are more expansive than I can be.

Next stop was Chartres where there seemed to be a festival on in the streets. The cathedral was in a paved pedestrian zone and backed on to the Seine. The buildings themselves absolutely reeking of history. Grounds are manicured with beautiful garden beds and well tended gravel pathways.

Inside the church people mill about talking in hushed tones. The stained glass windows are very impressive. They cover an enormous expanse and seem to have a lot of details contained in them. I am told that the blue in the designs is very distinctive and many have studied it as part of their art.

The cathedral is full of people - the faithful, the tourists and the clergy. For the religious this is a destination of note. The preservation of these windows despite wars and bombings is incredible and provides a beautiful environment for quiet meditation.

And meditate we did over a quiet coffee at the back of the building ... then onward to Paris, the week-end over.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb