To Tournus


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Burgundy
July 1st 2009
Published: July 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today began with breakfast of croissants, bread, cheese, jam and coffee. We then attempted to leave the hotel but the bike got stuck in deep gravel in the car park. The hotel was unable to assist. Hilary and two passing frenchmen were unable to push it out of the hole. In the end, it got reversed back onto the pavement and then powered its way out. But, for a few moments, we thought we would be stuck until picked up by the recovery service. Well Hilary might have thought that, but I had other plans.

There were quite a lot of roadworks on the way out of the alps but this may have helped Ashley to appreciate some of the wonderful scenery we passed through. We saw quantities of raptors, probably including some eagles. Another yellow and black insect flew into Ashley's jacket - this one was almost certainly a wasp as he has multiple stings and he is pretty sure he saw it make a rapid exit when we stopped to get rid of it.

We got into Tournus at around 14:30. Sadly they didn't have room for us at the hotel we stayed in last year so we came back up to the main road and found this really pleasant place. I am sitting typing this on the balcony overlooking a tiny garden - with a view of rolling hills in the distance. I can't actually see the station, though it is right next door. Thunder is rolling in. The hotel proprietor says there is going to be a storm.

This afternoon we did very little. We went a stroll around the pretty town and down the pretty river. We had a coffee. Ashley got some razors and has shaved himself - he is not bleeding much - and turned down my offer to singe his ears. We need to find him a proper barber in London. I shall ask Metin.

Just had to run into the room to get out of the rain - though I did get a picture of Ashley shaven on the balcony first!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb