One more night in France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Burgundy » Taizé
September 14th 2005
Published: October 6th 2005
Edit Blog Post

From our hotel room in  CalaisFrom our hotel room in  CalaisFrom our hotel room in Calais

P & O Ferry - another ferry line.
We have the worst luck catching the Eurostar trains. This time, our walk from the Musee D' Orsay to Metro back to hotel, and then traffic - cab couldn't get us here in time for the 30 minute precheck in - and we are on a later train again. We actually wanted to stay another night at our hotel, but would have to wait until after 6PM to see if they would have a room, so we decided to spend a night in Calaise. It is the French seaport on the other side of the English Channel. We will catch the Hoverspeed in the morning.

Eurostar uneventful. Calaise is a nice quiet town, evidently everyone comes over for duty-free shopping of tobacco, liquor and some other food items and takes them back the same day. We found a nice restaurant for dinner and the hotel (Holiday Inn can you believe it?) has Internet access so Buff set us up in Bath for the next 2 nights.

The Hoverspeed crossing was very choppy! If it had lasted any longer than the 30 minutes, I would have been sea sick. Even Buff (old Navy man that he is - but submariner,
HoverspeedHoverspeedHoverspeed

Autos and foot passengers boarding the Hoverspeed. Aren't the attendants' outfits cute?
not on the surface he is quick to remind) said he was not feeling that great.

When we were back in England at the train station, we saw people totally fill their cars with cases of alcohol so there wouldn't even be room for a passenger; and there have eviddently been court cases about it, so no one can contest what amount constitutes "personal use".

We have the car again and are on to Bath. Despite the owner's assurance of very easy to find directions, we struggle before finally finding the B&B. Guess the Romans didn't need street signs either.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb