Peaceful Days in Taizé


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Burgundy » Taizé
August 3rd 2005
Published: August 6th 2005
Edit Blog Post

La EgliseLa EgliseLa Eglise

The Communaute is located in the small village Taize, in Burgund, France. Here, you see the eglise roman in the village.
Before heading east I went to Taizé in France. Here I lived at the local monastry with many other young people. If you like to know more, have a look at www.taize.fr, their website. I chose to vivist Taizé for a week to calm down a bit after the busy time at the end of my studies.
To get to Taizé I hitchhiked from Heidelberg. The most difficult part was the walk from Heidelbergs nearest bus stop "Heidelberg Bruchhäuser Hof" to the roadhouse. Afterwards all went really well. I had loots of fun, especially in France the people were very helpful. I got a ride from four oboe musicans in their glaring red bus...
In Taizé I was welcomed warmly, and introduced to the daily live at the monastry. At the time I was visiting about 6000 other young people stayed here. In spite of so many the atmosphere was peaceful. Everthing runs according to a set schedule: Church service with lots of singing three time a day, meals four times a day, and in between time for bible introduction sessions. Furthermore everybody helps to organise the meals and to clean the dishes afterwards. I was with the spoon cleaning team.
Church ServiceChurch ServiceChurch Service

Three times a day everybody goes to church. Curch service mainly consists of singing songs in all kinds of languages.
Some thousand spoons after every meal.
I think, the spoon is a good symbol for life in Taizé. It is the only tool used, the spoon handle can be utilized as a knife which is sufficient for the simple food at the monastry. It symbolizes the fulfilling simplicity one can experience here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Lunch TimeLunch Time
Lunch Time

About 6000 youth were living at Taize the days I was there. So every meal is quite a big event. In the background you see the bell tower.
The CrossThe Cross
The Cross

This is the cross at the rear entrance of the Communaute. Actually, weather was very nice all week in Taize.
The SpooncleanersThe Spooncleaners
The Spooncleaners

Cleaning spoons is an extremly relaxing activity...full credit goes to Eva-Maria ;-)


Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 39; qc: 175; dbt: 0.1588s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb