Dijon - 18th July


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Burgundy » Dijon
July 18th 2007
Published: July 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Dijon is a very vibrant city with a lot to see and do. It is the home of mustard - the factory outlet store "Moutard Maille" sells many kinds of mustard and mustard related things. The Bourgogne pie from this region contains ham, cheese and of course mustard.

The Botanical Gardens are next to the train station and also near my hotel. There is a fountain, children's playground and pool, formal gardens and a lake with ducks.

The main street is Rue de la Liberté and is lined with shops, boutiques and eateries. There are too many important and impressive buildings to point a camera at such at Notre Dame Cathedral, Palais des Ducs, St Michel, St Etienne, Palais de Justice and Hotel de Ville (the town hall located in the impressive main square).

The Rue de la Chouette (owl) is famous for a small owl carved into a wall which is said to bring good luck to those who wish on it - it has been worn smooth by all the hands stroking it. However, if you then pass by the adjacent dragon carving, all the luck is negated. There are also other quaint features to look out for on the sreet such as the owl and pussycat statues on one of the roofs. Throughout the centre of Dijon, the tourist route to the main sites is clearly indicated by small, brass triangles/arrows on the pavement with a picture of an owl on them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0577s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb