Dinan and Le Mont St Michel


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Brittany
September 21st 2012
Published: October 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Street in the old part of DinanStreet in the old part of DinanStreet in the old part of Dinan

Looking up to La Tour de l'Horloge (the clock tower)
For the first time ever, our B&B hosts sat down with us at breakfast. Claudine and Yves were genuinely interested in hearing about us and were also very interesting in themselves. What's more, they were very happy to help us improve our French, for which we were very grateful. Claudine is a retired teacher of English so the lessons were of the highest standard!

We spent the morning exploring the old town and walking the ramparts. Unfortunately, it started raining (for the first time since Paris!) so we took shelter in a Créperie and were forced to eat crépes and coffee!

We had already decided to leave our visit to Le Mont St Michel to the later part of the day to avoid the massive crowds. This proved to be a good plan, as nearly everyone was leaving as we arrived. There is a free shuttle bus service from the HUGE carpark in La Caserne – which is the closest you can get by car. We decided, however to take the 20 minute-walk so we could enjoy the spectacular views of Le Mont from the approach road. You enter the walled enclosure into the village at the base of the Mont onto the Grand Rue. This once lovely narrow road, lined with 15th and 16th century buildings, climbs upwards towards the small Église Paroissiale St-Pierre. It’s such a shame then, that it has been spoiled by the over abundance of tourist shops that line it. Once you get past the shops, however, the place really is amazing. It began as a small hermitage consecrated to the Archangel Michel in 708 AD, and developed into a major pilgrimage centre in the 11th century. It is an extraordinary feat of mediaeval engineering, as the abbey was built above rather than on top of the mount, resting on four giant pillars; the village grew around the base later. The only disadvantage of arriving at the end of the day is that the Abbey itself was closed to visitors. Still, we’d rather that than being jam-packed in with the hordes – and there was still plenty to see. A little foot-sore, we decided to hitch a ride with the shuttle bus back to the car.

Claudine and Yves had recommended a few restaurants in Dinan, so we decided to try one. Le Léonie was the closest to ‘home’. The food seemed to us to be modernised versions of traditional Breton cuisine, which we really liked (although Ali dodged the tripe stuffing in her rabbit!).


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Believe it or not, this is the Dinan Chateau (from outside the wall)!Believe it or not, this is the Dinan Chateau (from outside the wall)!
Believe it or not, this is the Dinan Chateau (from outside the wall)!

I guess defence (rather than aesthetics) was their main priority.
The Grand Rue – believe it or not, this is the quiet time!The Grand Rue – believe it or not, this is the quiet time!
The Grand Rue – believe it or not, this is the quiet time!

(We can’t remember if it’s “Le” or “La”!)
Looking up to the AbbeyLooking up to the Abbey
Looking up to the Abbey

Le Mont St Michel
Cool bellCool bell
Cool bell

Le Mont St Michel


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb