Paimpol and its surrounding


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Brittany » Côtes-d'Armor
July 26th 2015
Published: July 26th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Cotes d'armorCotes d'armorCotes d'armor

22 is the district number for Paimpol
Without a grand historic cathedral, not much half-timbered houses like the others better known places in Brittany, Paimpol didn't attract mass number of tourist, still... the small town is tidy and easy to explore, beside the port area, the main sight is around the Quarter Latin the Place du Martray, every Tuesday morning when the weekly market run in full force and it would bring back live in this quiet town. Right in the center of the old town stood the old bell tower La Vieille Tour, that could date back to year 1550. Walk along the port further up north a little you will find the Tour de Kerroc'h on the mound overlooking the cove of Paimpol. And 14km west from Paimpol in Ploezal is a beautiful castle, 15th century La Roche Jagu by the Trieux River, with a staggering line of 19 chimneys in a row run along the roof top. The well beautiful managed garden is open free to public.

There are some interesting church in the area can be visit like the St Loup church(15th century), the St Yvias church(16th century) etc..., all of them are build with stone and got an awesome medieval look! The protected 13th century Abbaye De Beauport is only a stone throw distant away. And the

Chapelle de Perros-Hamon in Ploubazlanec, Called the 'Chapel of the Shipwrecked' by Pierre Loti in his novel, the walls of the south porch are covered with 'memoires', commemorative plaques for theos men lost at sea when fishing in Iceland since 1925. There also the Chapelle de Kermaria an Isquit in Plouha, famous for its interesting wall painting, the danse macabre-fresco that could date back to the 15th century. the danse macabre-fresco was kind of trend during 14th century, and it had been reproduced in many other churchs, there is location map inside the Chapelle show where you find similar fresco in other part of Europe. the fresco simply depicted living figures in all ages and all statues, holding hand like a human chain with an emaciated cadavers in between each figure, the painting illustrated all lifes are equal before death. And the The cylindrical Lanleff Temple is rather special, the original of this Romanesque style ruin still couldn't be dated.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.25s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 17; qc: 63; dbt: 0.1755s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb