Guingamp - Pardon a Notre Dame de Bon Secours


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Brittany » Côtes-d'Armor
July 4th 2015
Published: July 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Plomee fountainPlomee fountainPlomee fountain

with the Basilica Notre Dame de Bon Secours in the background
Borrowed the words from Wikipedia : "A Pardon is a typically Breton form of pilgrimage and one of the most traditional demonstrations of popular Catholicism in Brittany. A Pardon occurs on the feast of the patron saint of a church or chapel, at which an indulgence is granted."

Since the year 1619 Guingamp will organised a Pardon and feast for the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary every year on the first Sunday of July. Started with a solemnly mass in the Basilica Notre Dame de Bon Secours, one should overwhelming by the serenely of the hymn while touch by the powerful sound of the organ and flute resounding under the concave ceiling of the stone structure. A parade was setting up afterward, leading by flag holders, the statue of Notre Dame, priests and clerks, worshiper and pilgrims. A long and peaceful march surrounded the outer-ring road of Place du Ctre, accompanied by the graceful hymn broadcasting from inside the church all through the parade, ended with a huge bonfire next to the beautiful Plomee fountain when the clock strike midnight!

Although I hadn't seen much about the town of Guingamp, but even with this brief observed I find the town very pretty, sure I will come back for a better tour in broad day light!


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



26th July 2015
Notre Dame

France
Always such great photos

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb