The Scenic Route to Auray


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Brittany » Auray
June 1st 2015
Published: June 2nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Scenic road to QuimperScenic road to QuimperScenic road to Quimper

Not much to see today
Sunday 31 May 2015

Our stay in Plounevez-Lochrist has been brief but rewarding. We explored the area and came away feeling as though the local population don't really miss the hustle and bustle of inner city life. As we said our farewells to our hostess she was quite apologetic about the weather. It was drizzling rain and reasonably cool. We assured her we had had a great time and the bed was so comfortable. She said she felt quite proud that someone from so far away had come to stay at her place.

We chose the scenic route to Auray because it said so on the map. Polly didn't have much say in the matter. Perhaps she should have. As we headed inland over some high hills the weather closed in. Scenic!! We're not sure. We didn't see anything.

On this Sunday it is Mother's Day in France. Flower shops were doing a roaring trade, as were the boulangeries and patisseries. Baguettes, french loaves and extremely wicked cakes were leaving by the bags full.

Our lunch stop was beside the river, with rain falling, in the town of Chateaulin. We chanced upon a boulangerie selling freshly baked
Chateaulin Chateaulin Chateaulin

Our lunch stop but no cyclists
rolls and delicious Breton raspberry tarts. Everyone in town seemed to be waiting for the finish of a cycle race, one of many leading up to the Tour du France. Speakers were blaring, police on point duty and streets closed off. After half an hour it was time to move on and so giving the finish of the race a miss.

After a brief stop in Quimper it was on the road again. We were getting tired and we thought an early check-in would be good. No such luck. The small print said check-in on Sundays is after 5:00 pm. So time was spent reading e-books in the carpark.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Quimper Quimper
Quimper

An exhibition of pigs in the main square
Quimper Quimper
Quimper

Outdoor cafe, not many patrons today


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb