Taking in the Autumn Colours


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Auvergne » Saint-Nectaire
October 21st 2005
Published: October 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

21/10/05 - Big rest day required today after too much driving. We strolled around Saint-Nectaire and its surroundings. The autumn colours are lovely, the trees are full of red, brown and orange leaves, the weather is also great, about 19 degrees. Autumn is also good from the point of view that the summer crowds have long gone and we virtually have the place to ourselves and the locals.

This is a very interesting area, old volcanoes, lakes, beautiful farmland and old villages. We visited the 12th century church, plus the limestone Petrification Fountains (Fontaines Pétrifiantes des Saint-Nectaire, where artwork is created over a period of about 12 months by placing moulds on a ladder in a fountain of water which contains limestone deposits. 12 months later you have a limestone artwork or perhaps a limestone statue of your deceased dog or cat if you wish.

Next we tour the fromage (cheese) factory.

We will head off to the Netherlands soon via Bourgone, so a good rest is in order before we point the Renault back onto the Auto route.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

limestone ladderlimestone ladder
limestone ladder

can you see the water running from the stream down the ladder
limestone ferretlimestone ferret
limestone ferret

wanna buy a limestone ferret


22nd October 2005

rest days and home
After 8 weeks on the road around the world we are enjoying our last day of our amazing race around the world and soaking up some relaxation in Hawaii for tomorrow its back home for us. Stay safe for the remainder of your adventure and we will see you back home and swap photos and promise not to have any luggage you want dropped off!
22nd October 2005

When will you arrivo?
You've got my telephonenumber so please call when and if you are heading to Deurne!

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0893s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb