Aquitane


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Dordogne
June 6th 2014
Published: June 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Drilling through the cloudsDrilling through the cloudsDrilling through the clouds

You can't see detail here but the bottom cloud was shaped just like a dril
Bonjour Peeps!

Yes, we are here floating in our own little bubble in paradise. So chilled I have actually not been on the computer and have even deleted Scrabble and Word Welder! I am just 'being' like I used to and getting to remember how fab that is. Anyway, thought it is time I shared some of our ease and contentment with all of you that we love and miss.

Les Eyzies-de-Tayac-Sireuil (Occitan: Las Aisiás de Taiac e Siruèlh) is in the Dordogne department in Aquitaine in southwestern France. Fortunately, we had found a nice little studio to stay in as the weather was dreadful and it rained as though the world was about to end.

It is situated in the Périgord Noir area. You will find the Musée national de Préhistoire (fr) (National Museum of Prehistory). Go to the free one first as it is a fantastic introduction, Monsieur went to the paying one the next day and it cost 6euros and did not have anything the free one did not. It is situated in some beautiful gardens and the modern building is towered over by the rocks and caves long ago inhabited by man. In March 1868, the geologist Louis Lartet, discovered the first five skeletons of Cro-Magnons, the earliest known examples of Homo sapiens, in the Cro-Magnon rock shelter at Les Eyzies-de-Tayac. These skeletons included a foetus, and the skulls found were remarkably modern-looking and much rounder than the earlier Neanderthal.

It is clearly a very popular tourist area and has some lovely surrounding villages to visit. Les Ezier itself has lots of nice tourist shops selling foie gras and other specialities. Scenically it is very different to where we have been. The Gorges and the Ardeche are wild open spaces, where the air and scenery is breathtaking. As we drove across to the Dordogne the terrain changed rapidly and became more like the rolling hills cushioning small villages that we know in France. We crossed the magnificent Dordogne several times on the journey and watched people get into canoes to meander down the river to a spot where they would be picked up. As we sat an watched eating our pic-a-nique there were Red Kites soaring overhead.

St Cyprien is a pretty village full of history in the Dordogne it has narrow streets winding up to the 12th-century bell tower/ keep, part of the abbey church with its listed organ. St Cyprien is described in our tourist leaflet as “St Cyprien - everything Dordogne” I cannot add to that except to include some facts to whet your appetite.

History
In about 620 AD, a hermit named Cyprien settled in a cave that overlooked the Dordogne valley. Others gathered around him and a monastic community grew up. Barbarian invasions in the mid-9th century forced the monks to build defensive ramparts, one of which is the belltower-keep that survives today.

The body became an Augustine body and by the year 1076 was so successful it was taken under the protection of Bertrand de Got, archbishop of Bordeaux and later Pope Clement V.

St Cyprien suffered greatly in the Hundred Years’ War, due to its exposed border position and much of the village was destroyed.

In 1568, during the Wars of Religion, Calvinist troops burned the priory to the ground, but the monastery was rebuilt in 1685. Declared a “national asset”, in April 1791 it was sold to the town for 8,125 francs and renamed “Temple of Reason dedicated to the Supreme Being”.

In 1871 the powerful state tobacco monopoly knocked down the cloister, closed off the inner doors, and turned the place into a warehouse.

As I said before the weather was wet but scenic - I took some fab pictures to remind me of the rolling clouds and rapidly changing light, that in turn changed the landscape momentarily. I saw many dragons and other beasties galloping across the sky. See if you can see any in my pictures.

It was a couple of hours drive to our Housesit and we did not know what to expect really, although we knew it was going to be nice. When we arrived we were very definitely not disappointed. It is in Aquitane and buried in the country surrounded by woods. It has been like stepping out of reality. The peace, serenity and sheer beauty of the property and its grounds makes you feel at one with yourself and nature. There are standing stones surrounding the house (spread out) - that add a feeling of refuge and sanctuary.

The infinity pool with its views adds to the dream like quality of our lives this week. As you swim eagles, kites and many other birds soar and cry over the woods. There are 3 dogs and they are just great. They are so well trained it is a pleasure to care for them. 2 are Bernese Mountain Dogs (and they are BIG!) and one husky. Poppy and Byron are the Bernese and Byron is basically like a toddler in a sumo wrestlers body. However, as big as he is he is equally gentle and really just a great big baby. Sometimes he sits outside our door and when he does we can’t get out because he is so huge he he.

Poppy and Bijou are a couple of great girls and keep himself in place when necessary. They all live together in perfect harmony - although I cannot imagine anything not being harmonious here.

We have not really been out this week as everything we could possibly want is here. Mr ants-in-his-pants - Monsieur is finding little jobs to do and enjoying himself as well as taking the dogs for twice daily walks. For myself, I am happy dead heading the roses, using the fresh herbs from the garden and pottering. Lots of standing and staring, that is reminding me that these are the important moments in life
Crossing the DordogneCrossing the DordogneCrossing the Dordogne

Yes it is peeing down
and often in the rush of things we forget to do it. Try it out this week all of you, it only takes a moment of your time to imprint a cloud, wind blowing through the grass, birds soaring on the wind for the joy of it, anything really that you can get out during your busy stressful moments to calm your mind.

This lovely poem I learnt as a child sums it up perfectly.

Leisure by W.H. Davies

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and
Free museum in Les EyziersFree museum in Les EyziersFree museum in Les Eyziers

What a marvellous space
stare.



Feeling wistful, very relaxed and happy - both of us. This morning whilst eating our breakfast of freshly picked raspberries and french yogurt we reminded each other that this time next week we will be back in our tent. We are both contented about this and are hoping to head towards the sea - as for us no holiday is complete without a trip to the beach! More to follow at the weekend.

à bientôt
Monsieur et Madame
xx

Memoirs
Swimming under the stars at midnight
The clouds
The museum and caves
Walking up the hill and finding the water tub
The lovely fresh produce
The gardens
The pool


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

Ian! Put your own clothes on now!Ian! Put your own clothes on now!
Ian! Put your own clothes on now!

And please do not bring anymore rabbits
French museums rock!French museums rock!
French museums rock!

Little train carrying all the information about a "Journey through Time"
Am I clever or is it  rubbish shotAm I clever or is it  rubbish shot
Am I clever or is it rubbish shot

Trying to catch the reflection I caught my own legs and feet as well!
The entrance to our studioThe entrance to our studio
The entrance to our studio

He he not in the rock - by the side


Tot: 0.3s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb