Angry Birds at Castelnaud


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Domme
June 28th 2013
Published: August 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Chateua CastelnaudChateua CastelnaudChateua Castelnaud

sitting high above the River Dordogne.
Geo: 44.8029, 1.21463

This morning we visited Chateau de Castelnaud which is near to where we are staying. The castle sits high on a rocky outcrop overlooking the River Dordogne.

The castle (chateau) dates back to the 13th century when it was built by Bernard de Casnac, a fervent supporter of the Cathars. The infamous and much feared Simon de Montfort was sent to crush the Cathar heretics, and subsequently took the castle. De Casnac recaptured the castle a year later.

During the 100 years war, which started in 1337 between the French and the English, the ownership of the castle changed hands no fewer than 7 times. Finally in 1442 the French captured the castle permanently. The castle owners became Protestants, and bitterly defended the castle during the Wars of Religion (1562 – 1598).

The castle was authentically fitted out with the instruments of war that were used to defend the castle against attackers ie: cannons, crossbows, Trebuchets (catapults like in Angry Birds), guns, battle axes, spears etc as well as various types of armour.

After spending most of our day at the castle, we wandered through the village and had lunch at a cafe below the castle walls.

We then drove to the town of Cahors, which has as its feature, the Pont Valentre, a 14th-century
six-span fortified stone arch bridge crossing the Lot River. It opened for use in 1350 and is still in use today as a tourist footbridge. After walking around Cahors, we headed for home, arriving back around 9.00pm (still daylight over here).

Off to the world famous Dordogne Caves tomorrow to see the cave paintings.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Kim and Liz Kim and Liz
Kim and Liz

Knights on the warpath.(aka Angry Birds).


Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0161s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb