Day 20 - Paris to Bordeaux


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Bordeaux
July 9th 2016
Published: July 10th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Wake early after a restless night - aircon not great and quite noisy. Find out later we had the window open so noise was coming in that way.
Go down earlier than we need so we can catch up with the others before they leave at about 0800. Get into the restaurant and they have seats together and there is another one as well. We ask if we can sit there. Waiter says it is dirty but we don't mind. Finally agrees and we get to chat which is nice.
Time is up so we do hugs, etc. It has been great fun with all of them (our tribe as we were labelled). Finish breakfast with lots of the ship people slipping in or out. Meet the tour director who tells me he has had a call from one couple at 0728 complaining that their car for 0730 was not there and that the company stunk and they were going to complain. He went straight downstairs by 0731 but they had left in their car at 0730. He had a good laugh. Interesting that he was comfortable to share that with me, especially after I had said he looked like Bob Downe and that he should Google him. Obviously didn't offend him..
Finish packing our bags - we are on another TGV to Bordeaux at 1043. Into taxi and to the station with plenty of time. No traffic so even quicker to get there. People everywhere again. Lots probably going on holiday as the school summer holidays started last week. Waiting for platform info. Waiting for platform info. Eventually with 10 minutes to go they post the platform. Away we go with everyone else. Masses of people but we get on tot the platform together. We are in carriage 13. 1st barrage is 1 so we have a long walk. Get to our carriage and then have to lug bags up the stairs. Great views but bugger getting them upstairs. Mission accomplished, find seats and stow bags right beside us. All good. We have opposing seats on or own - nice.
Off and up to warp speed quickly. Love these trains. Mind you, it scares the living suitcase out of you when another one passes. The air I sucked out and the bang of the wind is scary as you can't see them coming at you until it goes bang. Tunnels are as bad with the air again sucked out and the ears popped.
Finally arrive in Bordeaux. Into a cab and to our next apartment. Seems to take a while but eventually we pull up in a tiny one way street in the old part of town. Find the correct address and ring the manager. No answer - we are a little early, then a window opens and she asks if I am Steve. Yes, up we go to the 2nd floor - mistake number 1 - check if it has an elevator. Never mind, it wasn't the 3rd floor. Apartment looks good, as usual, tiny but has the goods. She then dumps that we have to be out by 0800 on the Tuesday. Her husband has work and she is going to be away for that day so early out. Bugger. Anyway, we are meant to have 500 as a safety bond but could only get 300 from the ATM, so she accepts that - maybe as a softener for the start.
Get our bearings and head to the information office to see about booking a wine tour. Find it eventually after a pleasant walk down the Main Street with trams around us and no cars. Go in, start chatting when the fire alarm goes off. Everyone out. Ok, check on the hop on hop off bus just outside - which turns out not to be on/off, but just a 1.5 hr tour of the city. Go and have a drink to gather our thoughts and look at the brochures we got before we were evacuated.
Decide to do a wine tasting and education session rather than another chateau which we have done a few times this trip. Then we get on the last bus of the data and do the city. Good tour, the driver actually stops at sights to let you take pics. Go all around and by the time we get back it is time to eat. Back to the place we had drinks and have tea.
Bit buggered by now so walk back past the place we are doing the tasting to get our bearings, then a few bits and to bed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.594s; Tpl: 0.039s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.2909s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb