Colmar


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Alsace
February 24th 2006
Published: February 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

France, not Germany!

Colmar is an Alsatian city...Alsace being the Rhein River valley "shared" by France and Germany. Most of the towns in Alsace (or Elsass) have German names, and throughout history they have been French, German, Austrian, and once Swedish! Now the border between the two countries is the river itself, and not the mountains on either side of the valley. The two countries don't really have a border anymore, but their transportation infrastructure is yet to meld.

So Colmar is really cute...it must've survived WW2 with little damage. People speak French but know German, and a lot of them have German last names. Back in the Crusades, it was a base for the Hospitallers, whose more famous base was Malta. In medieval/renaissance times, it was a haven for Huguenots (zu close zu zee Germans). Now it seems to be pretty much a tourist town, especially for oenophiles. A few of its top sites were closed for winter (including the Bartholdi museum...he built the Statue of Liberty), but I had a really good day there.

Colmar was an hour's bus ride west of Freiburg. Alsatian wine tends to be white and a little sweet/strong. I think there's also an Alsatian dog.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

guild hallguild hall
guild hall

i like this one
little statuelittle statue
little statue

and this one
"little venice""little venice"
"little venice"

they call it that, but it doesn't really come off. the old market to the right is now the world's most charming parking garage.


27th February 2006

Loved those pictures!
You're doing all the work for us, Rawley! A. C. and I are enjoying your journal, especially the architecture of these shots. Keep up the good work! Love, Lucy and A.C.
5th March 2006

Aloha
Aloha from Kauai, When are you coming back? Chickens are waiting for you. Reunion plan : March 2007 meet us at Disney World for a gathering. more details are later. Weather here finally sunny and warm, life is good!! Love, Dillard

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb