Lucerne and Strasbourg, France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Alsace » Strasbourg
May 30th 2009
Published: May 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our last day in Switzerland was bittersweet. We had all really fallen in love with the small city of Engelberg, but were excited to see France. Our schedule for the day included a trip to a fantastic glass factory and a behind the scenes look at the Palace Luzern hotel. The glass factory did not disappoint. The museum part was so well done, and we ended up spending a lot of time (not to mention money) there too. After the factory tour we had some more free time in Lucerne. I found a cute pair of dress shoes for $49 CHF (Swiss Franc) and did a little souvenir shopping. At 1 p.m. we took a behind the scenes look at another four star hotel, the Palace Luzern. The hotel was gorgeous and we all enjoyed seeing the 1 star Michelin restaurant Jasper's along with the plush suites. We left Lucerne around 3:30 and headed to Strasbourg. Traffic was terrible and we arrived at the Chateau de Portales in Strasbourg later than we would have liked. Our first order of business was to eat in the little tavern at the head of our driveway at the Chateau.

The dinner menu featured a wonderful leafy salad and quiche lorraine, poached chicken in mushroom sauce with elbow macaroni, plus a chocolate lava cake for dessert. It was to die for. When we finally got to the Chateau it was well after dark. The students weren't used to the hostel like rooms and shared bathrooms and I was worried that they wouldn't settle in. My room was in the more updated part of the 18th century estate. Unfortunately I was the ONLY guest in that part of the Chateau. It was a little creepy, but I was so tired I didn't even have a chance to feel too scared.

Breakfast the next day was a continuation of what we had been eating in Switzerland- baguette, yummy jams, yogurt, cereal, cold meats and cheese and good black coffee. Everyone emerged in high spirits and well rested too.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.026s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb