Why we visited Metz...


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Alsace » Mulhouse
September 30th 2019
Published: September 30th 2019
Edit Blog Post

We visited METZ, because Bill’s great grandfather came from Metz. Apart from the B&B with no WiFi, it was a good visit. The cathedral was closed Sunday until 2 pm...so we found a place to eat and waited and WOW! What a treat...glad that we waited...

Most cathedrals do canned music, but here we heard a REAL organ being played...it was peaceful and beautiful...This cathedral has more stained glass than any in the world and it took about 300 years to complete...and somehow, it wasn’t damaged by the wars...

So, that was worth it all...

As some of you know from FB, I am always collecting photos of manhole covers and whatever else someone sticks in the ground. Here we did find several covers with Metz, but also a couple of cute little dragons...Apparently, pre-Christian, a dragon possessed the town...until a bishop came along and slayed it...

Our B&B neighbor took to blasting HORRIBLE music, which drove me crazy, plus no Internet...drove me NUTS!!

We have since driven to Mulhouse...to see the DMC thread manufacturer only to discover that the factory has gone to China, or someplace, no one is quite sure where. However, we intend to look at the printed fabric museum, visit a place that sells thread AND then, our SERVAS host suggested that we visit a world famous car museum, that includes a number of Bugattis...so we will stay a third night here, to see it all..

Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb