Snow shoe shuffle


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland » Lapland » Luosto
March 13th 2013
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 67.1571, 26.9157

Todays activity led by the gorgeous Ansti, was a hike through the woods and up the hill on snow shoes. Despite the fact that it was 15 degrees below zero we were soon very hot during the hike uphill and starting to open side vents in the snow suits. One or two people peeled off on the low road with the other guide whereas the rest of us decided to stay the course and get to the top of the hill for the lovely view. All went very well until it was time to go down and Ansti launched off into deep snow and we dutifully followed. Must say most of the descent back to the path was spent on my backside and once down I am hopeless at getting up. Still it was a good laugh and worth it just to have the guide giving me a hand up at the bottom! We were then treated to a hot drink and biscuit by the log fire at one of the mountain huts before making our way back. We were probably out hiking for a couple of hours and I know my legs will tell me so tomorrow.
Back at base I took my teddy bear sledging and out in the snow but I have the feeling he prefers sitting watching TV in the room!
In the evening we were taken on a coach to Keto Aurora, which is yet another of their log cabins but this one had a lecture and presentation about the Northen lights projected on the ceiling. It was all very nice but we expected to go to the research facility and see how they conducted the research on the Northern lights but this was not to be. Too scientific for tourists I suppose. Dinner was late because of this trip and served in the waitress service Bistro- my reindeer shank and mash was very good and the others enjoyed their huge portions of Pizza, pork cutlet and burger and chips. At 11pm it was 27 degrees C below and we were back out on the frozen lake looking at a wonderful backdrop of stars but also at a faint green glow in the North with a tiny streak on it. This was all we got to see of the Northern lights that night. I am not hopeful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



14th March 2013

You might want to try the northern lights in Fort St John at the very top of BC .Seems the Japanese believe the light s improve your fertility so they come up there and run round naked under the lights then go into ice houses and make out o
n furry rugs .So remember to take your pills if you're feeling frisky or you'll go home pregnant.A couple of years ago we were up there helping a friend who has a farm get his harvest in .I went out for a pee or something and there was the most staggering display of lights going on, the whole sky was covered in shifting green curtains of light .I rushed back in yelling you've got to see this .They just grunted ".Seen it " and carried on playing cards.

Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 33; dbt: 0.1421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb