Sledding with Huskies and Reindeer


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland » Lapland » Luosto
February 25th 2016
Published: February 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Today was all about sledding; getting dragged around by dogs and deers.

What a day!

We started out at the husky kennels, where the local guide Saara gave us driving instructions for the husky sleighs before we went to meet the dogs. All the dogs were harnessed to the sleighs, excited and ready to go. With about twenty sleighs, and six dogs each, that's a lot of canines, all howling and barking and raring to go! We were assigned our sleighs, two to a sleigh, and met our dog teams. One of us was the designated driver, the other along for the ride and we switched in the middle.

Pretty soon we were off! The dogs took off like rockets, racing after the guides on their snowmobiles or the sleigh ahead. We really picked up some serious speed, racing along the track in the snowy forest.

Ethan lost his sunglasses on the way (more on that later).

What an exhilarating ride! First I drove, our dogs charging after the guide on her snowmobile. When she stopped I had to stand with both feet on the brake and it still took a while to stop the dogs! This happened a couple of times while we waited for the teams behind us to catch up.

Somewhere in the middle of the forest we stopped, and those who wanted switched drivers.

Now, switching drivers isn't as simple as you'd think. No, the driver has to stand on the brake at all times or the dogs will take off. I stood on the brake with both feet until Ethan was ready to replace me. Then I took one foot off the brake and ethan put his foot in its place. Then I got off and Ethan put his entire weight on the brake. Only then could I get comfortable in the sleigh.

Quite a procedure but I got to see the way from inside the sleigh and Ethan did a great job of driving. The kid has a future.

Once everyone was ready for the return trip we were off again! The ride seemed even faster from my new vantage point. The guide signaleld us to slow down a few times but the dogs just didn't want to, brake or no brake. As on the outgoing trip, we stopped a few times on the return trip to wait for folks, but as soon as the guide gave the 'Go' sign, the dogs jumped forward, even before she could get her snowmobile moving!

Eventually we made it back to the starting point, all safe and sound, but some of us just barely. We heard the two kids behind us laughing away! Turns out at some point their driver let go... and found herself chasing a runaway sleigh with her cousin on board!

When we parked and the dog team was anchored and roped to a tree Ethan and I went in search of his sunglasses. No luck, but we discovered that one of the lead dogs on a team behind us picked them up and carried them halfway down the track! She finally got tired of them (I guess they didn't fit), and Saara, who followed all the sleighs picked them up and returned them to us. Talk about lucky! And another great story.

After our sled dog experience we're almost ready for the Alaskan Iditarod!

We left the dog teams and, completely frozen, went to see the new members of the kennel - puppies! I don't know who was happier with the meeting, the kids or the pups.

We then went inside for some hot drinks and explanations about the dogs. Interesting, but we were not there long enough to defrost before we had to get on the bus to our next destination, the Jaakkola Reindeer Farm.

At the reindeer farm we got quick safety instructions on riding the sleigh, and again rode in pairs. All we did this time was sit in the sleigh and let the deer pull us on a short circuit in the farm. Our deer was hungry and as soon as we neared the starting point he charged forward, overtaking the sleigh ahead of us, and selected the biggest and best pile of food before any of the other deer got there!

Once everyone had a ride we went inside the large kota. We were welcomed by a big, blazing fire, and it was toasty warm inside. Lovely!

After a little while for defrosting we went out behind the kota to feed the reindeer. Those animals are so funny! All pushing to get the best morsels from us. We all had fun feeding them with lichen and taking lots of pictures before heading back inside.

Inside the kota we heard all about how they raise the reindeer in Finland, how each farmer has their own marking for their deers' ears and how the children practice making their earmarks on orange peels, so they'll be experts at it by the time they mark their own fawns. All very interesting.

We were then served lunch, the traditional salmon soup, but, at least in my opinion the best salmon soup we've had so far, and followed by hot tea and coffee.

We ended our tour there with Mina, the Sami owner of the farm, telling us a little about the Sami traditions and singing a Sami Yoik for us. I recorded her and you can hear it on today's video.

Before getting back on the bus all the kids got into an epic snow battle! Great fun!

We got back to the hotel and some of us went souvenir hunting. Then we went back inside to relax until suppertime. Again, the kids remained outside in another snow fight.

Have a look and listen:



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0654s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb