The old and the new-Estonia


Advertisement
Estonia's flag
Europe » Estonia
August 8th 2009
Published: August 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We were really fortunate with the weather today. It was blazing hot and Tallin looked like somewhere in the Med! I started off by taking a swim in the ship’s pool as Carole woke up back in the cabin.

We had been informed that Estonia accepts only the local currency but this proved to be false as everything is priced in Euros too-and dollars. We exchanged Euros on board for the local stuff and managed to also obtain some Russian roubles for tomorrow.

Looking around from the ship’s deck we got the impression that Estonia was from the 21st century exclusively. The port is 100% modern and there were 5 cruise ships berthed there. We were rather childishly pleased that our Norwegian Jewel dwarfed the others.

Carole and I decided once again to make our own way around Tallin by walking and following a local map-a plan that has worked well so far. Tallin proved to be just as successful.

When we left the jetty we were confronted by local traders with their stalls. We were treated politely and received no pressure to buy anything. The goods looked interesting but we proceeded to find the Old Town and thought that we’d look again just before re-joining the ship.

The ½ mile walk to the town is one of extraordinary contrast. On the one hand there is the port-modern with tinted glass and steel hotels, then there is the Old Town within the walls. It is quite enchanting. The only thing that badly lets it down is the modern plague of graffiti. Many of the buildings, their windows included, are daubed with mindless crap-the signature of a disenfranchised youth.

We spent a fascinating 5 hours wandering around. The Old Town is small enough to be seen easily within this time frame. I can say without any doubt that it is the most varied and interesting place we have seen.

Returning to the ship, we bought some goods from the port traders and retired to our cabin to cool down.

This evening we have taken part in a Trivia quiz (questions written by Americans for Americans) and participated in a sing-along. Both were very good-natured fun.

Tomorrow we arrive in Russia. We are going to see ‘Sleeping Beauty’ at the ballet on the first evening.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.281s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb