Eastern Europe - Day 10 - Tallinn


Advertisement
Estonia's flag
Europe » Estonia » Tallinn
May 12th 2009
Published: May 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today was a glorious day. The weather was superb and we went on a bike tour of Tallinn. The bike tour was fantastic. If you are ever in Tallinn I can totally recommending going to the City Bike Hostel and doing their 2 hour tour of Tallinn. The bike that I had was the coolest bike ever. It was an old school bike and I felt exactly like Anne of Green Gables when I was riding it around. We started the ride off in the old town of Tallinn and then headed off towards the suburbs. We rode through Kadriorg Park which is a glorious park about 2kms out of town. The park as well as the Kadriorg Palace were designed by Peter the Great for his wife Catherine I. From the park we were led out through the suburbs (which were also stunning) up onto a wee hill where a soviet war memorial is for the soviet victims of WWII. We then kept on peddling out of town and ended up at Pirita Beach. This was a very nice looking beach but quite frankly the weather was freezing and there was no way that I would be out there sun bathing. These Estonians are mad.

From the beach we peddled back into the old town and headed off to the old town square to have some lunch. The first restaurant that we went to looked pretty nice so we sat down in the sun and waited for someone to take our order. However the waiter seemed like he wasn't really interested in myself and MK at all. He served another couple that sat down after us but didn't come over talk to us at all. Now it isn't like MK and I are ugly hags so we couldn't work out why the young male waiter wasn't interested in coming and taking our order. But it got a bit silly after a while so we gave up and walked off. Which was incredibly lucky as we ended up at the best restaurant in the square with a totally lovely waiter. We both had the french onion soup and then the chocolate and zuchinni cake, which was just the best cake ever.

After lunch we wandered around for the next couple of hours looking at the shops and then headed back to the square for dinner, at the same restaurant that we had had drinks at the day before. We'd been eyeing up the menu while we were having drinks and decided that we just had to come back and try out the food. The dinner was lovely. And it was fantastic sitting out on the deck in the sun, however as soon as the sun went down it got totally freezing.

Tomorrow we have to be ready to leave the hostel at 6am to catch the 6am bus to Riga.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb