Day One: London to Tallinn


Advertisement
Estonia's flag
Europe » Estonia » Tallinn
July 28th 2008
Published: July 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day One



The trip started ridiculously early due to having to spend an exciting night at Stansted airport... Dramas also occurred early with a horrendous nosebleed on the coach to the airport for Fiona... Tissues were salvaged from kind foreigners.

Finally we boarded the plane...nice to see that for once, it wasn't overpopulated with stag-bound revellers. Fortunately the obligatory screaming baby was at the other end of the cabin. The scenery from the window was predictably glorious when we eventually woke up after grabbing a couple of hours sleep open mouthed.

Found the Euphoria hostel (probably the hippiest place in all Estonia) with only one incidence of fare evasion... We're staying in the Bob Marley dormitory with a huuuuge poster of the aforementioned. There tends to be random tribal jamming sessions at all hours of the night and day and shisha pipes readily available for the interested. Lots of cool graffiti adorning the walls, pictures of which will hopefully be uploaded at some point.

After a couple of hours napping we made it out to the old town for a walk around and ended up at a traditional Estonian restaurant, where ample-bosomed waitresses were on view for Adam to look at along with a belly dancer shaking her stuff. Wasnt previously aware that this was traditional estonian get-up... However, hearty food was a plenty. Dumplings with sour cream to start followed by duck on a skewer for Adam and Pork fillet with bacon potatos for Fiona... Absolutely stuffed afterwards but made room to sample the traditional alcoholic drink Vana Tallinn which Adam (secret restaurant critic) labelled a "creme caramel whisky".

Following dinner we took a walk up Toompea to the Kohtu viewing point and looked over the city as the sun went down (ahhhhh). Absolutely knackered at the end of the day but chilled to yet another tribal jamming session and are finally going to bed.

Eurosteppin' has commenced!

Advertisement



29th July 2008

Glad to see the old Stanstead traditions are being upheld... I hd no idea you guys were going to Tallinn - one of my favourite cities ever by the way - check out the Lassoo club and Scotland Yard (just for the toilets... trust me) if they're still around! Where else are you headed? Enjoy, don't do anything I wouldn't do... xxxxx
29th July 2008

THIRD PERSON NARRATIVE?
who is the ghost writer of this blog? have you taken a reporter along with you? also i'm not sure i subscribed but i seem to have received an email simply from checking this site, how curious, perhaps i did. anyways have a good one, i shall no doubt continue to read of your endeavours x

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb