Saaramaa Island to Kuressaare


Advertisement
Estonia's flag
Europe » Estonia » Saaremaa » Kuressaare
June 25th 2015
Published: June 26th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Oitme Hostel in Oitme Oitme Hostel in Oitme Oitme Hostel in Oitme

Our humble workers paradise
Today we biked 33 miles for a total of 203 miles.

Woke up to cool overcast skies, but no rain all day. Became blustery later in early afternoon.

Last night over dinner we all talked about Gary's ankle getting a bit of a rest. So he and Bobbie decided to head to Muhu Island instead of going to the South end of Saaramaa Island and then to Muhu Island. Pam and I will still go to Kuresssare and spend the night. The next day we will meet them on Muhu Island.

We had breakfast together in the town of Oitme and then went our separate ways.

It was very cool day and on into the night. We had a strong head wind the whole way. We did pass through rural areas of Saaremaa Island with lots of fields of vegetables and grains. No corn anywhere. Also saw saw several working windmills. At one time there were 800 working windmills on this island.

Stopped at the site of a meteor crashing in Kaali. The meteor left a 110 meter wide whole and 40 meters deep. They say it weighed somewhere between 40-100 tons when it hit the ground. There are several other meteors nearby too.

Stopped roadside Cafe where Pam had ice cream, even though it was cold outside.

Made it to Kuressaare where we are staying in an apartment in old town.

Visited the local Bishop's castle with Teutonic Order architecture. It is relatively intact, pretty cool, and along the ocean.

They have a nice beach, but too cold today. Their main thoroughfare is filled with well kept historic buildings

They have a great outdoor cafe scene that is too cold to enjoy tonight.

Tomorrow we head to Mihu and rejoin Bobbie and Gary.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb