deities drink Heineken


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Sjælland
July 8th 2010
Published: July 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

busy day - running all sorts of errands in order to get the boat ready. 2 days to go before the scheduled start of the journey, but we are still trying to solve a motor problem - no oil pressure, as some part of the lubrication system appears to be clogged. the local mechanic is so hard to get a hold of that we start referring to him as the "all-mighty" - he could solve our problem, but we can't get him to actually do it - both of which would be quite characteristic for a higher being. if he's the deity, I'm the sinner. I didn't take care to fill the motor with fresh oil after the end of the last sailing season and now regret this "sin" since the old oil has blocked the oil system.

in the end, a local fisherman suggests what turns out to be the solution: put a lot more oil into the motor than it takes - really fill it up, start, and hope that the extra oil unclogs the system. we try that, and end up with oil coming out of the air intake! but everything seems to work ok after we suck out the excess oil.

I'm adding some pictures of Dandelion's Danish "home" at Kobenhavn's Fisketorv, in the north of Kobenhavn. the harbor is quite something. a lot of fishermen, lots of shops (boatyards, engine repair outfits, a factory recycling scrap metal), and a colorful mix of locals, many of whom live in former shipping containers. their lives appear to be as "improvised" as their quarters. from time to time, tourists come to the harbor on guided tours. seeing these tourists makes me feel like a local - to them, I'm just one of the people living in the harbor, working on their boats,...

at the end of the day, there is a little celebration, because today is the first day of the Danish national summer holiday. we sit on a porch at the boatyard where Dandelion has spent the last winter. even the "all-mighty" mechanic stops by to have a beer. deities drink Heineken (in case you've wondered).

here is a link to the boatyard's homepage - I can recommend this boatyard:
http://www.cph-yacht.dk/


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0842s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb