finally away


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Midtjylland » Aarhus
August 2nd 2014
Published: August 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

leg one, home to legoland


Aarhus, in the middle of well......our time in Denmark. So The journey this year has begun (I'll get back to last years journey when I get back) We left nottinghamshire just before 12, unusually before expected, even more surprising given that about two hours prior to this, Ash took Jason for his new shoe and a bit of a check then on the way back, rang me with the opening line' are you still at home, theres a bit of a problem, not a big one but needs sorting like now' turns out the garage had noticed a new creeping crack on the windscreen which was getting bigger as the van drove. Great. Two hours before we had to leave and this happens. The insurance company were very helpful despite not being able to fix it and put me through to Denmark. Yes, after a new batterje and starter motor in Croatia last year, Jason will get a new windscreen in Scandinavia this year, starting to think he feels the need to get a bit from every place much in the way I collect magnets from each country.really wish he wouldn't though......



So, we got to the ferry port at Harwich in plenty of time ( although the temptation to follow the 'bondage beds' van on the a14 was massive - how they can offer a discreet service when they plaster themselves on a van is beyond me) and boarded the ferry. (After extra interrogation by customs and passport control, its either ash's beard or the fact we're in a big transit van that means we always get stopped at borders and passport checks) The cabin was lovely, the view,ERM watery and we settled in with the picnic wine and friends on the tablet best invention ever, a 64 gig memory stick with both normal and mini usb ends).the 18hour or so journey passed in a flash, the beds were comfy, the view remained watery and the only delay was because of the tall ships in the harbour.

We disembarked (I know all the terms now) and headed off on the wrong side of the road. The usual trick of following someone who looks like they know what they're doing didn't work through as this pair of er older folks in a Bentley clearly bought the model with no indicators or accelerator...... We drove for no more than an hour and reached the Mecca that is Billund. This is a lie. Billund should be a mecca as the home of legoland. We got there on the day it was empty. Totally empty. A pizza and chips in a mary celeste street and a bit of shopping in an empty supermarket was quite freaky. Nice to have wasps to ruin the party wherever you go though i always think.....we headed up the road to legoland. Actual legoland. Checking in we found that all the people that work for legoland are very very helpful and nice and should teach all theme parks how to run. We parked up and then I dropped the bombshell....our park tickets were valid for two days so we could go straight away, yay!!!!



So, legoland....wow...lots and lots of Lego, like kids in a sweetshop ( or kids in legoland even) we wandered round in the glorious sunshine, took a ride with lots of children on the monorail and headed for the penguins. On route I was persuaded to go on the pirate ship which swirled around. This was a bad decision. One, it made me feel pretty grim. Two in my quest not to be a wimp, I found the courage to let go of the bar and promptly threw my camera out of its bag. Fortunately in a move which would have impressed the England cricket team selection board, I caught it before it landed in the Gubbins of the machine. We made our way to the penguins which were amazing via a couple more rides before heading back to the campsite for a wasp free, friends filled early night.

Things I learnt

1. you can buy bondage beds in Cambridgeshire

2. Denmark is a lot like England but with better pastries

3. All people in legoland are incredibly lovely

4. Billund is shut on a saturday

Advertisement



6th August 2014

Love your blogs...
I'm also looking forward to reading the rest of your blogs still to be posted about your trip through the Balkans last year. I will be there next April. Please post some pictures for all your blogs!

Tot: 0.265s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb