Happy Birthday Churro


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic
September 3rd 2013
Published: June 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Today was our last morning in Prague and with a few hours before our private shuttle van picked us up for the 3 hour drive to Cesky Krumlov, I decided to go for a walk to the nearby Dancing House. Just a quick 15 minute walk south on the street our apartment is on, the Dancing House was called such as the house resembles 2 dancers. The glass and concrete facade along with it's strange bending shape is very unusual and definitely seems out of place amongst the architecture of the surrounding buildings. On my way back to the hotel, I slowly walked along the riverfront while I enjoyed some of my last moments in Prague. Back at the hotel, we still had some time before our 12:00 shuttle van picked us up so we went back to that same doner kebab eatery that we visited last night. Our shuttle van arrived right on time at 12 noon and in just a few moments we were off to Cesky Krumlov in Southern Bohemia.



Up until a few years ago, I had never even heard of a place called Cesky Krumlov. When I saw a Rick Steve's program on the Czech Republic where he showcased this fairytale like town, I knew immediately that I wanted to go there. Coming on this trip, I knew that we'd be going to some awesome places but Cesky Krumlov is the place that intrigued me the most. From Prague, our private shuttle drove us 3 hours through the green countryside of Bohemia to Cesky Krumlov. Our driver pulled into the main square of Cesky Krumlov and from here it was just a short walk over to our home for the next 2 nights, the Castle View Apartments. After settling into our 2 apartments and enjoying the views of the Castle Tower from our balcony, we set out to do a little exploration. Exploring Cesky Krumlov is a bit like stepping back in time. It's charm is immediately noticed as we entered the main town square with all the different colors of the Renaissance and Baroque buildings that line the square. The square was very touristy just like Prague but unlike Prague, the crowds were not ovelwhelming. We hung out for a bit in the square enjoying the much more relaxed pace of this town before continuing our way through the town. We eventually made it to Barber's Bridge which crossed the Vltava River. The views from this bridge were gorgeous with the Vltava River running through the town and with the castle and it's tower high above us. We even had a violinst playing on the bridge to add to the ambience. Crossing the river onto the other side of the town, we walked along Latran street and entered a more commercialized area of the town. Poking our heads into a some of the shops, we purchased a few interesting and unique trinkets as well as picked up some much needed toiletries. Our goal was to visit the Eggenberg Brewery and as we continued walking along Latran Street and crossed the city gate, we saw a sign for Eggenberg Beer. Assuming that this must be the brewery, we walked inside only to find that this place was more of a bar. The bar was definitely a local's bar with a bit of a rough crowd. With nobody speaking English, we took a seat at a table on the outside patio and ordered some beers. After consulting our guide book, we realized that we should have taken a turn down a street that would have taken us to the brewery. The Eggenberg beer that we had at this bar was great and made even better when we got the bill. 6 beers for the equivalent of about 7 dollars! It's amazing how much cheaper things are here in the Czech Republic than they are in nearby Germany. With a slight drizzle now starting to fall, we made our way over to Eggenberg Brewery only to find that it was closed for the day. A tour of the brewery would have to wait until tomorrow. From the brewery, we backtracked back to our hotel to rest for a bit before dinner. Dinner tonight was at Krcma v Satlavske, a restaurant literally right outside the front door to the Castle View Apartments. After a bit of a wait to snag one of the outdoor tables, we enjoyed a very relaxing dinner of steaks washed down with more delicious Czech beer. After dinner, everyone felt like just having a quiet night back in the room. However, Churro's birthday was tomorrow and Vita and I wanted to ring in his birthday at midnight at one of the local bars. Around 11, the 3 of us set out to find a bar open late to hang out at. We walked all the way up Latran Street and eventually found a place called Apotheka. As midnight approached, we kept asking the bartenders if they could make a special birthday drink or even sing happy birthday to Churro. However, these 2 guys were very rigid and seemed unwilling to accomodate our request. At midnight, Vita bought shots for everyone in the bar, about 10 people, and everyone willingly accepted and wished Churro a Happy Birthday. As the night wore on, the bartenders warmed up to us and grew more friendly. Eventually they brought out a specially made drink for Churro complete with a sparkler and even played a Happy Birthday song on the radio just for him. It was undoubtedly a memorable way to ring in his birthday. How many times can somebody say that they celebrated their birthday in Cesky Krumlov.


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Cesky Krumlov CastleCesky Krumlov Castle
Cesky Krumlov Castle

Seen from our apartment balcony
Castle TowerCastle Tower
Castle Tower

Walking along Radnici Street
Castle TowerCastle Tower
Castle Tower

Walking along Radnici Street
Castle TowerCastle Tower
Castle Tower

Seen from Barber's Bridge


Tot: 0.383s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 65; dbt: 0.1992s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb