Bohemian Rhapsody (...terrible, I know)


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic
June 6th 2006
Published: June 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Moving on from Prague we caught the bus to southern Bohemia to a place called Cesky Krumlov, a small town but one of CzRep's most popular destinations. It's one of those remarkably well preserved towns where the cliches like "you really feel like you've stepped back in time" are true - narrow cobbled streets and great old buildings from various eras (the local aristocrats had to keep up with the neighbours, so facades changed from the Rennaisance to Rococco as they felt like it). I got the feeling it wasn't such a pretty place in communist times, not much to keep people there apart from a mine and other industry on the outsirts of town, but the recent influx of tourists has allowed them to restore most of the buildings. We stepped off the bus into an icy blast and that's pretty much how the weather stayed the whole time, with intermittent rain and wind. We were actualy warned of snow the first night, but it never arrived.

So, as it goes in small towns in bad weather, we actualy had a really relaxing time as we couldn't run round like mad things all day. We were staying in a great little hostel right by the river (see photo) run by a Czech-Cuban musician who told us stories of life before the tourists, and we found a cafe with excellent coffee, so of course we were very happy. We had a fairly abortive attempt at a trip into the country - hiring a car (my first time driving on the right, only got beeped at twice!) we drove round a nearby lake, but didn't get out of the car as it never stopped raining. We took a shortcut home and retired to the cafe. Anyway, the sun came out on a couple of occasions and we managed to get some good photos, so look forward to getting the films back.

The town has a very picturesque castle on the hill above it, which they use the dungeon-type cellers as a gallery space. We saw a couple of excellent local art excibitions in the amazingly eery spaces down there, a very cool use of their resource.

So, not much adventure to report, but batteries definitely recharged after our 5 nights there, and we were really looking forward to Vienna when we left. Will let you now about it soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



6th June 2006

looks lovely....
I can't think of the next line in the song. aahhahh - la la la etc Aggh wish I could have found a flight. O h well looks fantastic and I'll pick your brains for all travel suggestions. Have a beer or three for me, and keep the photos coming. Looks brilliant

Tot: 0.366s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.1086s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb