Day Late - but we're on our way to Prague!


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic
August 1st 2008
Published: August 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

August 1 (emailed on August 2)
Dear Readers,
We arrived! It’s Friday, the day we were scheduled to be in Prague. Instead, we are sitting in the Atlanta airport. Our flight took off from JFK around 4:30 pm on Thursday for the non-stop overseas flight, and it was true. We had only one stop. Back on the ground at JFK an hour later. On take-off the plane lost an engine (not as bad as it sounds…but we shook a bit as the pilot adjusted.). Back at JFK there were 300 of us to rebook and Czech airline was already closed down - but within an hour or so they gave us back our luggage (our group’s was the last bags off - of course!) and started rebooking. We were near the end of the line, but our AWESOME travel agent (Ayelet Tours) booked us while we waited and then Czech airlines finally approved the change and gave us our vouchers. It was not a pleasant experience, but in the end we spent the night at a hotel near JFK courtesy of the airlines, and on Friday morning we transferred (in very comfy town cars arranged by one of our group, and paid for by Czech airlines) to Newark. We took a flight to Atlanta, and tonight as Shabbat arrives we will watch the sunset from our Delta plane to Prague, leaving at 7:30 pm. Prayers are welcome….
(By the way - we tried to think of the good things about our misadventure. Top of the list - the airplane movie was going to be Alvin and the Chipmunks. No one was sorry to miss it….)
So, we missed our “free day off” in Prague, and will instead tour a bit Saturday afternoon and be back on regular itinerary on Sunday. Oh well. A bonding experience. Great way to get to know each other’s personalities - seeing how everyone copes with uncertainty and lack of control. The one who saved the day was my husband, Peter Weinrobe, who spent the time on the phone with Ayelet Tours, and then got all our vouchers and flight coupons from Czech Airlines; and then walked us through the next two airlines because the paperwork was a bit complicated.
So, now we’re in Atlanta. All is well. Went for walk around the airport; not enough time to leave and return. Tried to get on the airport internet but it wouldn’t take my money and let me on! So, guess you’ll be reading this after we arrive in Prague.
Promise there will be “guest” writers (members of the group) over the next week.
Shabbat Shalom to all if you get this before the end of Saturday!
Warmly,
Rabbi Debby Hachen




Advertisement



Tot: 0.284s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb