A Hike Up the Mountain -- only 15 Kilometers in a day.


Advertisement
Published: July 6th 2005
Edit Blog Post

NancyNancyNancy

Can you see her at the base of one of the sandstone cliffs?
The area known as Czech Switzerland, or Bohemian Switzerland is located on the German border between Prague and Dresden. The Elbe River has cut a deep canyon through the mountains leaving behind high sandstone cliffs. To avoid river taxes in centuries past, smugglers used this area to carry goods into both countries. Small villages developed in the mountains to provide services to the smugglers. I am not sure if smuggling still exists, but surely tourism is the major business of the area. There has been a national park on the German side of the border for a number of years. Now, there is a newly created national park on the Czech side, the National Park Bohemian Switzerland, or in Czech the, Správa Národního parku České Švýcarsko. Look it up on the Internet.

We set out about nine in the morning, heading upstream and up the mountain. The trail was not as difficult as we had been lead to believe. It is about a five kilometer hike, all up hill, through beautiful woods, past a cave where some of the earliest human artifacts in Europe have been found.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

BillBill
Bill

Looking up at an overhang.


Tot: 0.759s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 21; qc: 168; dbt: 0.4202s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.4mb