The Battle of Austerlitz, 1805


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » South Moravian Region » Brno
August 1st 2016
Published: August 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

On 2 December 1805 Napoleon lured the Emperor of Austria and the Russian Tsar to bring their armies to battle at Slavkov, a few miles east of Brno. This battle is better known by its French name of Austerlitz. In four hours, an army of 67,000 French soldiers crushed an army of 85,000 Russian and Austrian soldiers. The French suffered 9,000 casualties and their opponents 36,000. We first visit the Chateau of Austerlitz – Zamek Slavkov. This is a moderately interesting chateau built and formerly owned by the leading local nobles. However our enjoyment is not enhanced by having to go on a guided tour (a common Czech imposition) where the guide speaks Czech and we are given a few words of explanation in English. We are then left bored while he drones on, and there is no escape. A small child starts crying in the first room, and is made to leave the tour with their mother. We suggest Hannah could try lying on the floor and screaming, but for some reason she declines. It was here though that the Tsar and the Emperor stayed the night before the battle, and Napoleon stayed on the night after the battle. Unfortunately there is little evidence of their sojourns there.



We drive on to the Austerlitz the peace memorial, built on the hill which was the focal point of the battle. There is a very interesting audio visual presentation in English and an exhibition about the battle which we all enjoy. Then it is back to the car and to the hotel. Hannah and James go off and find a mall to do some clothes shopping, and then it is out for some Czech food and beer in one of the local squares.

Scroll down for more pictures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb