March 2015 - Czech Republic - Prague


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
March 18th 2015
Published: March 18th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Happy mum! Happy mum! Happy mum!

She was pleased to be here!
Prague is like a sea of red roofs and towering buildings with golden spires. With a huge history and beautiful architecture with-standing very little natural disaster or war, Prague is stunning. I'm not sure what I expected when I knew I would be travelling here and I was impressed. The streets are clean and you feel so safe wherever you go. The people are friendly, welcoming and very hospitable.



For this trip I was accompanied by my mum. She deserves a weekend away and was really pleased she agreed to come away with me. One thing about my mum is she likes to look up... a lot... Especially when walking in crowds! We are walking along and she will just stop, never mind the hundreds of people behind her, she will just stop and start pointing as I'm trying to fend off all those people bashing into me she is having a lovely time!



One of the highlights and probably most famous site is the Charles bridge. Built in the 14th century the stone bridge connects the old town to the castle. While walking over the bridge it's packed with hundreds of visitors rubbing St John for luck and looking at the views over the river and up to the castle. The bridge is visible from many points throughout the city but the best view is from the castle.



We took time to see the astronomical clock in the main old town square. We were very much looking forward to the mechanical show of little apostles shuffling along etc etc. It was not what we expected after reading about how great it is it was a little lame, sorry to whoever loves it! It's a very clever design and looks wise the clock is beautiful and I guess back in 15th century it was amazing. I think what we did was overate what we expected and when we saw it we could not stop laughing! I was there filming it thinking has it started?! I think it's one of those things you have to see while in Prague as people will ask did you see the clock?



The best part of the trip was going to the castle (apart from being with my mum for a 4days of course!) the views are great from the top and you will
GuardGuardGuard

Changing of the guard at the castle
learn more about the history of the city. The county's patron Saint Wenceslas stories come to life here with the story of how his brother murdered Wenceslas and brought his reminds into the Cathedral of Sv Vita when he had repented. A main highlight is the solid silver tomb of St John of Nepomuk. Unfortunately we didn't have time to look at it carefully as we got caught in a big school group that were uninterested and bustled us through quickly. The cathedral is impressive the stained glass windows were beautiful and mum really liked the impressive colours. There is so much to see on the castle site including the changing of the guard every hour, golden lane, the old castle building, and the many museums.



We stayed in a hotel near Wenceslas square which was at the centre of the 1989 demonstrations against communism and now a great place to shop. We learnt here the cake slices are massive and come with ice cream and cream, but very expensive! The food generally is good wherever you go but try to stay outside the main areas for food prices. A cocktail will set you back about £2 and a Czech beer around £1. Most nights our meals came to about £30 between us with drinks.



There is honestly so much to see and I'm not going to tell you everything on here, but do check out the photos, I recommend just go and see it for yourselves. You won't be disappointed!



Top tips



1. We purchased a Prague card although it didn't save us masses of money it saved us having to worry about travel cards for the public transport.

2. When eating, like any other city, try and stick to the edges of the main tourist areas as its a lot cheaper.

3. Use the trams to get around they are easy to navigate.

4. If you don't like steps or feeling a little tired and still need to see the castle, you can take tram 22 which will take you to the top of the castle walls and walk down from there. If you go to the main gate you will still be able to see the views over the city.

5. You don't need a ticket to go into the castle grounds but you will need to get one to go into the main sites within the castle walls.

6. Try the Czech food and beer!

7. The main sites are packed all day and busy at night even in March, just be prepared for lots of people all day wherever you go.

8. Have fun!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

John Lennon wallJohn Lennon wall
John Lennon wall

'never give up'


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb